Tetons in June

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
shanahan96

Re: Tetons in June

by shanahan96 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:38 pm

yeah, the tetons aren't the safest place to be at this moment.

snowpack is 200+% of normal and the seemingly never ending snowstorms have yet to consolidate. the rangers are telling everyone that you need to be back at camp by 9-10am because of avalanche danger. there is loads of evidence scattered throughout the range highlighted by the enormous slides of the open book couloir(disappointment's south cliffs) which slid past snowline to the valley floor and a monster on hunt's south face which supposedly was 20-25 feet deep. our projected route up the stettner/chevy/ford couloirs on the grand's south face looks like fluffed up pillows from a distance. all it needs is a trigger. also, the giant boulder in the meadows has been overrun by a slide(13-14' deep) off the north face of nez perce which killed two experienced climbers while they slept during the afternoon, assuming they were in a secure position. i would have agreed with them pre-slide because i believed that was the one safe zone to camp in the meadows....apparently not. the rangers are suggesting no one camps higher than platforms for the time being.

we spoke with three exum guides late friday afternoon who spent the day traveling from lupine meadows TH to the lower saddle and back to shovel out their tents. they reported that there was good cramponing conditions in the morning(7-9am) and things were "slushy" on their ski out. they were back at the TH ~4:45pm. since then, the tetons have received a good deal of rain in the alpine and any improvements the snowpack had seen are gone for now.

jamie

jmh5331

by jmh5331 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 pm

Jaime, do you have anymore details on the death of those two climbers? It sounds from your post like the slide happened on Thursday afternoon?

FRhoderick

by FRhoderick » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 pm

jmh5331 wrote:Jaime, do you have anymore details on the death of those two climbers? It sounds from your post like the slide happened on Thursday afternoon?

http://gtnpnews.blogspot.com/2011/04/he ... udwig.html

The following user would like to thank FRhoderick for this post
jmh5331

jmh5331

by jmh5331 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:56 pm

I just realized that article is dated April 23rd, did another avalanche kill two more climbers last week?

shanahan96

by shanahan96 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 am

i was at the ranger station on thursday and he mentioned it happened last week, so sometime during the week of june 5th to 11th. the posted article sounds just like the ranger's story. the open book slide occurred last tuesday, june 14th. if you're in jackson, that's the slide path which looks like lime-greenish motor fluid from the valley. the hunts slide was discovered by the rangers thursday PM, but they believe it slid early in the week.

whether he got his dates wrong or if there has been two separate slides....or something else, i do not know for certain. the thing that really stands from that article and our conversation was that he mentioned coming across old probe holes while probing the area. that makes me believe nez perce has taken lives twice this spring.

jamie

The following user would like to thank shanahan96 for this post
jmh5331

Morlow

by Morlow » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Anyone been up to the Tetons recently that could give a conditions report? Their conditions website hasn't seen many updates recently.

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:14 pm

I am headed to the tetons on the 12th of july. We are planning on the OS lower and then crossing over to the Exum upper. We plan to camp at the meadows if possible.

Any updates on conditions of this route?

The biggest question is footwear, from what I am reading I am going to bring my La Sportiva Nepal Evo's as much as I would love to have my lightweight hikers. Either way i will have good crampons.

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)