1000pks deleted his pages

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
hgrapid

1000pks deleted his pages

by hgrapid » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:32 pm

All, 1000pks has deleted his pages.
I took care of Greys Peak (NV), and I note Huffaker Hills Trailhead in one of my Area/Range pages.
However, the rest of these need recreation. Some are in Idaho, Nevada, California, maybe other states.

Mountains and Rocks
Tells Peak (Desolation Wilderness Area)
Crater Crest
Thompson Ridge (Ski Mountaineers Peak)
Heliograph Peak
Sauk Mountain
English Mountain (Sierra Peaks Section (SPS))
Black Buttes (Northern Sierra) (California 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Stewart Point (Calif. Desert Peaks)
Tioga Peak (Yosemite National Park)
Magruder Mountain
Mount Airy
Desert Creek Peak
East Sister (Nevada) (Sisters collected !)
Moho Mountain
Sherman Peak (W Central NV) (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Duckwater Peak
Greys Peak (NV) (East Humboldt Range)
South Shoshone Peak
Mount Augusta (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Matterhorn (NV) (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Blue Eagle Mountain (Nevada 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks)
Mount Moriah (NV) (Great Basin National Park)
Mitchell Point (Calif. Desert Peaks)
Rosa Point (Calif. Desert Peaks)
Hood Mountain (SF Bay Area Peaks)
Valencia Peak (California Coastal Peaks)
Fiske (SF Bay Area Peaks)
Tinker Knob (Lake Tahoe Basin)
Mammoth Crest (John Muir Wilderness)
Thunder Mountain (California County Highpoints)
Liberty Peak (NE NV) (Ruby Mountains)
Observation Peak (ID) (Sawtooth Range)

Trailheads
Huffaker Hills
Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve

Lists
Great Basin Peaks List

CSUMarmot

Re: 1000pks deleted his pages

by CSUMarmot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:12 pm

why'd he do that??
at least put them up for adoption
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:34 pm

I've done many of the peaks in NV. I could put up a few in time, but many are already well-covered in the DPS guides or Zdon.

Duckwater is sort-of covered in my route up Currant, which includes the loop over Duckwater.

I don't think 1000pks was too happy with some recent actions. One of his threads went a little out-of-control, went to OR, then went away. He really, really needs to meet other people, to get out of the internet world; and probably he needs other stuff that he seems loathe to consider.

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:52 pm

kinda looks like someone took over his profile though
'stop 1000 creeps'???
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:06 am

CSUMarmot wrote:kinda looks like someone took over his profile though
'stop 1000 creeps'???

I think that is he. His posts were getting angrier and more paranoid in the last few weeks. People really were trying to adhere to his videochat requirement, but they ribbed him a lot, and it got a little nasty. I suggested that even friends rib each other on SP, and that seemed to put him over the edge.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:25 am

I would hope to take Hood Mt as it is in my backyard. But as far as 1000pks deleting all his pages? Things got real weird with him recently, if you've been reading thread. And for someone with so much knowledge, his last few pages were pretty week.

Noondueler

by Noondueler » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:03 am

I'd be happy to do Tioga Peak, Ski Mountaineers Peak, Crater Crest and Mammoth Crest. I've done them and have the pics. I guess summit loggers will have to repost in any case.

no avatar
workmanflock

by workmanflock » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:26 am

Happy New Years 1000pks, hopefully you get some nice time in the outdoors in this year and have a great 2011.

SawtoothSean

Observation Peak

by SawtoothSean » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Too bad he deleted his stuff.

I remade the Observation Peak (Sawtooths) page. It's an "important" page because it's the only peak with a trail in the range, it's a good (the only) beginner hike for the area, and I had a bunch of other pages (lists) that referenced it.

Dean

by Dean » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 am

I re did the Mt. Moriah (NV) page today and will soon start work on the Matterhorn (NV). I hope someone else can pick up the Mt. Augusta (NV). A shame he didn't let others adopt his pages and sad he left the way he did. I like Pete, I wish him the best.
Dean

sierramtngoat

by sierramtngoat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:46 am

Good evening Elves,

It's been close to 4 years since 1000pks deleted his pages and there are still broken links on this site because of it. For example, "Tinker Knob" and "English Mountain" were children of "Lake Tahoe Basin" and "Tahoe OGUL", so references to these peaks from these pages are broken; this includes reference under child objects and hypertext links in the body. I remade Tinker Knob page and now I find myself messaging a bunch of people in attempt to clean this up; the bottom line is that I don't know who is referencing Pete's "Tinker Knob" page. Would it be possible for these problems to be fixed under the hood some way, perhaps having the stale page forward to the new one? Perhaps this can be done at the database level? Could a script be written to message anyone who is referencing a stale page so I don't have to be involved?

Going upstream... have security measure been put in place to prevent users from deleting pages outright? Deleting content is one thing, but deleting pages that are being referenced causes messes such as this. If an empty page was left instead of the page deleted, the summit logs could have been preserved, and all the references would still work. As long as the page has children or parents, deletion should not be an option. It appears that "delete this page" is still an option, do you guys want this site to be unstable?

Thanks,
-Andrew

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:35 pm

It's been close to 4 years since 1000pks deleted his pages and there are still broken links on this site because of it. For example, "Tinker Knob" and "English Mountain" were children of "Lake Tahoe Basin" and "Tahoe OGUL", so references to these peaks from these pages are broken

In the case of broken links, you can post an addition/correction and hopefully it would be taken care of.

Would it be possible for these problems to be fixed under the hood some way, perhaps having the stale page forward to the new one?

I'm confused as to what you mean?

Going upstream... have security measure been put in place to prevent users from deleting pages outright? Deleting content is one thing, but deleting pages that are being referenced causes messes such as this.

The delete page option doesn't work as long as there are summit logs. The change was made a few years ago, but was after 1000pks deleted his pages. Delete Page should give an error of "Deletion not permitted due to the page having signed climber's logs". I just tested it out and it appears to still be working.

As far as people deleting all their pages, it only happens very rarely, but I agree that it does cause a mess when it happens. Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for deleting new pages, so if there are no summit logs, page owners are allowed to delete.

nartreb

by nartreb » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Would it be possible for these problems to be fixed under the hood some way, perhaps having the stale page forward to the new one?

Scott, this is referring to the following scenario:

- user clicks on a link to summitpost.org/this-page-was-deleted-a-long-time-ago.html

-Summitpost, instead of replying with "this page has been deleted", serves up

summitpost.org/this-page-was-written-later-to-replace-that-deleted-page.html

(Equivalently, Summitpost serves up a dummy summitpost.org/this-page-was-deleted-a-long-time-ago.html that actually contains only a META REDIRECT tag that instructs the user's browser to request summitpost.org/this-page-was-written-later-to-replace-that-deleted-page.html instead .)

The hard part is knowing which pages to serve up as replacements. In the general case, replacement pages won't exist. But there is a number of cases where they do exist, and users could report them in the forum. Matt or Josh could write a tool the elves could use to tell Summitpost which pages replace which others.

The advantage of this kind of approach is that it will also repair broken links from external sites (including Google). There's no real disadvantage, other than aesthetic: you now don't have to bother cleaning up bad references.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Scott, this is referring to the following scenario:

- user clicks on a link to summitpost.org/this-page-was-deleted-a-long-time-ago.html

-Summitpost, instead of replying with "this page has been deleted", serves up

summitpost.org/this-page-was-written-later-to-replace-that-deleted-page.html

(Equivalently, Summitpost serves up a dummy summitpost.org/this-page-was-deleted-a-long-time-ago.html that actually contains only a META REDIRECT tag that instructs the user's browser to request summitpost.org/this-page-was-written-later-to-replace-that-deleted-page.html instead .)

The hard part is knowing which pages to serve up as replacements. In the general case, replacement pages won't exist. But there is a number of cases where they do exist, and users could report them in the forum. Matt or Josh could write a tool the elves could use to tell Summitpost which pages replace which others.

I am not a programmer and Matt and Josh have been severely injured, so probably can't make any drastic changes right now (if they can, I'll let them tune in), and this sounds like a good idea, but since pages with summit logs can no longer be deleted and it hasn't been possible to delete them for a few years now, wouldn't it be simpler to post an addition/correction to the page and have the maintainer update the link? If a maintainer is gone, maybe let an elf know, but there should be very few pages that have broken mountain page links as a result of the old owners deleting them. Deleted mountain pages should no longer be a problem, so it doesn't seem worth writing a program for something that is a simple fix. If the programmers disagree and it is an easy change, they can correct me.

mvs

by mvs » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Whoa, Matt is injured too? Dang...

Next

Return to Site Feedback