Climbing Partner For Whitney

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
newclimber

Climbing Partner For Whitney

by newclimber » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:38 am

I am heading to California with my partner from Australia in May and hoping to climb Mt Whitney. I only have a short time in the Mt Whitney area and the dates I am likely to attempt it are between the 2nd and the 7th of May. At this stage I am doing it by myself as my partner is not into the great outdoors like I am. I am looking for someone who might be interested in doing this climb and possibly an acclimatization climb a couple of days prior.
The dates will depend on whether we do San Francisco or Los Angeles first and this will also depend which acclimatization hike I do first.
If coming from San Francisco I was hoping to have a crack at White Mountain Peak.
What is the access like for White Mountain Peak at this time of the year? (late april, early May)
Can you get to the Trail Head in a normal car at 12000ft?
Alternatively if coming from LA first I was thinking potentially of Trail Peak.

I know I'm early but just trying to get organised with permits and trip details.

I would love to hear for anybody who is interested.
Last edited by newclimber on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
grubburg

Re: Climbing Partner For Whitney

by grubburg » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:29 am

you'd probably have more success finding a climbing partner if you clarified whether you wanna climb in one day or two and also if you disclosed what route you were wanting to take.

you also need to secure a permit http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... ey%20Trail

good luck and enjoy!

as a side note, if it were me, i'd skip whitney and climb shasta or something in the palisade range instead!

no avatar
newclimber

by newclimber » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 am

Valid point, one day ascent starting early. 2ish on the main trail. I have my heart set on Whitney first up. Thanks for the advice mate. Thoroughly looking forward to it
I apologise just noticed that this is not the place to I should be posting for a climbing partner.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:34 pm

You can find a wealth of local information here:

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... d=1&page=1

Whether or not you can drive to the trailhead in early May likely depends on the snow year they are having. If you can't drive to the trailhead it makes a long day trip that much longer.

Deb

by Deb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:58 am

newclimber wrote:Valid point, one day ascent starting early. 2ish on the main trail. I have my heart set on Whitney first up. Thanks for the advice mate. Thoroughly looking forward to it
I apologise just noticed that this is not the place to I should be posting for a climbing partner.

With the El Nino upon us, the conditions in May could possibly be quite uncomfortable for a Main Trail ascent. As mentioned earlier, the road may not even be open. Please be aware that this year your snow science and skills need to be on par with Winter conditions for a trip in early May. I second Shasta/Shastina and Lassen!

no avatar
sfgfan10

by sfgfan10 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:44 pm

I did White Mountain in September last year. The route is accessible by any car really, but 4wd/awd might be preferable for some sections of the road. I wouldn't be surprised if there's significant snow cover up at that altitude in May, though! maybe not on White Mountain given its location, but more likely a problem on Whitney I'd imagine.

no avatar
newclimber

by newclimber » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:06 am

Thank you everyone for their replys. I will keep an eye on the weather and make an educated decision closer to the time but will not rule out the possibility of an attempt on a different peak. I still would like to hear from anyone thatmmay be interested.

Return to California