waterproofing a leaking tent fly

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Grampahawk

waterproofing a leaking tent fly

by Grampahawk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:34 pm

My MSR Hubba seems to leak no matter what I do to waterproof and seal it each spring. It started leaking the second season I used it. It's fine right after I treat it and test it in my yard. It seems like the process of packing it damages the waterproofing. It's about 8 years old and I use it about 6 times a year, for 2-3 days at a time. My trips usually include a week in glacier conditions and several back packing trips. I've taken to bringing a plastic tarp with me to cover the tent which is ridiculous. I've used Teck Wick, Scotch Guard, Seam Seal and some other products over the years but it always leaks after a hard rain. Should I just buy a new one? Do fly's wear out making them impossible to waterproof? Does a product like Never Wet work on something that gets folded up?

ozarkmac

Re: waterproofing a leaking tent fly

by ozarkmac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Grampahawk wrote:My MSR Hubba seems to leak no matter what I do to waterproof and seal it each spring. It started leaking the second season I used it. It's fine right after I treat it and test it in my yard. It seems like the process of packing it damages the waterproofing. It's about 8 years old and I use it about 6 times a year, for 2-3 days at a time. My trips usually include a week in glacier conditions and several back packing trips. I've taken to bringing a plastic tarp with me to cover the tent which is ridiculous. I've used Teck Wick, Scotch Guard, Seam Seal and some other products over the years but it always leaks after a hard rain. Should I just buy a new one? Do fly's wear out making them impossible to waterproof? Does a product like Never Wet work on something that gets folded up?

MSR has acknowledged a defect in their old flies. Mine leaked then totally deteriorated. They replaced it at no cost.

The following user would like to thank ozarkmac for this post
Grampahawk

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:42 pm

MSR has excellent customer service. Call them up and explain your problem and ask what they can do to remedy it. I bet they do right by you. I brought my bent, beat up 15 year old XGK stove in for maintenance ($25) and the guy behind the service counter reaches into a bin and gives me a brand new stove, pump and windscreen kit.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:18 pm

I emailed their customer service address. Will report how they respond.
They took it back. New one on the way!!

Return to Gear