What's New In Colorado?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Kane

by Kane » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:46 am

I have a question for all of you. Anybody else out there spending less time surfing the Whats New photos on SPv2, looking for Colorado photos?

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:39 am

Stuff on What's New is just roaring through. It's almost a lost cause. For new stuff attached to my activities, I'm just checking items from my profile page. The rate of submissions to SP seems to be at breakneck speed. I posted a map and it was on the second What's New page within an hour. I suppose it's a bit slower on the weekend, but I didn't notice--I was too busy submitting my own mountain of stuff! :D

If folks really want their stuff noticed, email might be the way to notify potential viewers.

An Advanced Search is a good way to bypass What's New for Colorado stuff. Just narrow the search down to the objects or images you're after, specify Colorado and most recent submissions. I just tried it and it turned up my stuff. You can get fairly specific. Mess around with it and I think you'll find it's actually better than sifting through the whole What's New selection.

Ed F

by Ed F » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:59 am

I just polished off my Mosquito Range page. Whew... these range pages take some time.

Let me know what you all think: Mosquito Range

RyanS

by RyanS » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:24 am

bump

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:05 am

All I can say is WOW!

Tijeras Peak Technical Route by Mountainman Jim

RyanS

by RyanS » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:20 pm

That's very cool, Aaron! I'm not too fond of Mountain Jim's list page, but if he keeps on submitting awesome routes like that Tijeras route or his Chiefs Head route, he can have a mulligan in my book. I believe I had read that Tijeras' south face had never been climbed. Not anymore!

Has anyone figured out a way to see the last 30 days' worth of Colorado photos? I tried modifying some of Andy's code to say "object_type=3", but that didn't work.

Andy

by Andy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:11 pm

Ryan Schilling wrote:Has anyone figured out a way to see the last 30 days' worth of Colorado photos? I tried modifying some of Andy's code to say "object_type=3", but that didn't work.

Yeah - I'd really like to do that too, but I don't think it's possible with the current GUI we have. I think it would be possible given the data, you'd just have to search for images whose parent (mountain, range, or route) is in Colorado.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:50 pm

The direct way is to go to Images on the blue navigation bar.

Click ADVANCED SEARCH

Parameters:

Search IMAGES for COLORADO

For image type, select ALL

from COLORADO (which you type in)

created within 30 days

Order by SCORE, HITS, CREATION DATE, whatever your preference DESCENDING is the default, but can go ascending, too. Depending on what you're after.

The key is to think as specifically as you can when using the search tool. What's cool is that the tool will accomodate you most of the time!

For mountain submissions, click on ADVANCED SEARCH.

Parameters to be specified:

Mountains/Rocks
Colorado
All

Created within: 30 days

Order by SCORE, HITS, CREATION DATE, whatever your preference DESCENDING is the default, but can go ascending, too. Depending on what you're after.

Whenever you get on SP, think SEARCH TOOL, SEARCH TOOL, SEARCH TOOL.

I was surprised to see my photos for the San Juan project on the second page. Not much has been submitted from Colorado in the last 30 days. Perhaps the Rockies bunch is disenchanted with SPv2...?

Remember...SEARCH TOOL, SEARCH TOOL, SEARCH TOOL

Andy

by Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:09 am

I'll be damned - it didn't occur to me to put "Colorado" in the For Field. I was assuming that this would require "Colorado" in the caption.

This month's new Images - I added this link to the top of the thread.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:22 am

TA DA!

John Prater

by John Prater » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:48 am

Aaron, unfortunately your approach doesn't quite deliver the desired result. If you look at the results of that query, there are several images that are not from Colorado, and there are a number of recent images from Colorado that are missing. The "Search IMAGES for COLORADO" parameter only matches those images that have the word "Colorado" in the image description. Also, the "from COLORADO" parameter doesn't do anything to a query unless you also specify a distance using the drop-down fields above (which is how it should work). When you do specify a distance, "from COLORADO" won't return anything. It needs a City, State (eg, "Boulder, Colorado") or a US zip code.

Another stab at finding images geographically is to simply use the Distance fields, but the results will never be perfect because Colorado isn't shaped like a circle. 500 kilometers (100 miles is too low, 500 miles is too high) from someplace central like Fairplay, CO would seem to be a good bet, but the results extend pretty far outside the state (ie, several Utah and even Idaho images show up). A larger selection of distances in the drop down would be nice (eg, 200, 300, 400) to fine tune this a bit.

RyanS

by RyanS » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Yeah, that didn't work. I submitted a pano of Ellingwood Ridge yesterday, and it's nowhere to be found in the list of results from that link.

John Prater

by John Prater » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:51 pm

Yeah, and my stab using the Distance fields doesn't work either as it requires that images have Lat/Long specified.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Yeah-I looked at the foreign pics. Fellipe Colorado is mentioned in the captions-probably the photographer. So they popped up. But I think Andy's result worked pretty good. My pics are in there.

It says in the FAQ and other places to use tags for future search purposes. I suggest thinking about this as well for picture titles and caption content, if you want your photos showing up in a search. This situation is a shortcoming though for what we're after.

The suggestion to be able to just go to the latest submissions from XXX is certainly a good idea, but may be low on the priority list.

Andy

by Andy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:26 pm

I added a Mount Meeker trip report w/movie.

PreviousNext

Return to Colorado