What's New In Colorado?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
miztflip

by miztflip » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:44 am

Man, I hate you computer geeks.

Just kidding, Great job to Kane for the Elk Range page and to Andy for all his techinical expertise.

RyanS

by RyanS » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:53 am

BTW- this is my last Group page. Quite honestly, for a lot of reasons, creating this page has sucked the life out of me. And, I'm glad its over. Hopefully I did Colorado and the site well. Maybe its just a SP thing or an SPv2 thing.

Wild.... it must be a version issue then, because I thought I knew why the coordinate system wasn't on the border of your submissions. I'm sorry to hear that you're done submitting group pages -- I was looking forward to an LCW page!

Kane

by Kane » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:40 am

Ryan Schilling wrote:
BTW- this is my last Group page. Quite honestly, for a lot of reasons, creating this page has sucked the life out of me. And, I'm glad its over. Hopefully I did Colorado and the site well. Maybe its just a SP thing or an SPv2 thing.

Wild.... it must be a version issue then, because I thought I knew why the coordinate system wasn't on the border of your submissions. I'm sorry to hear that you're done submitting group pages -- I was looking forward to an LCW page!

:? Ryan, all of the maps have a heading at the bottom. A distance scale. I opted to leave off the coordinate system.

RyanS

by RyanS » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:38 pm

Kane wrote::? Ryan, all of the maps have a heading at the bottom. A distance scale. I opted to leave off the coordinate system.

No worries. I'm sorry for not being clear. What I was trying to say is that the lack of a coordinate system led me to believe that you had painstakingly pieced those maps together with screenshots, and that you then added the border manually. In no way do I mean that the coordinates are necessary or even useful. The maps look great! [where's that 'thumbs-up' emoticon?...]

Kane

More TOPOS

by Kane » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:49 am

With Ryan Schllings help, I built a new interactive TOPO area map that covers the entire RMNP, IPW, the Never Summers, the Rawah Wilderness, most of the Medicine Bows and a lot of the Arapaho National Forest. Not sure if the term "interactive" is the right one but click on the map, and get USGS, level 5 detail on the area of your interest. A few of these maps may be overkill, however when it comes to maps, it doesn't hurt to have all of it at your fingertips.

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=173476&confirm_post=7

For those of you that are building Group pages, let me know if you want the code to add to your pages, and I'm happy to send your way.

Andy

by Andy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Kane - I'd like it. I made you an admin of the Mummy Range page - will you stick the code in there somewhere?

Ed F

by Ed F » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:08 pm

OK - I just finished the Tenmile Range page. Please provide any feedback that you can. I tried to give a good overview of the Range and surrounding area without any redundancy with the actual mountain pages.

Tenmile Range

-Ed

Brad Snider

by Brad Snider » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:42 pm

Great page Ed! Just one question, is it "Tenmile" or "Ten Mile"? I noticed both are used, and I am just curious.

RyanS

by RyanS » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:10 am

How are you guys creating these sub-sections that appear justified further to the right in the ToC on your pages? e.g. Ed's 'Tenmile Canyon', 'Tenmile Creek', and 'Tenmile Range' sub-sections of his 'Geology' section?

Ed F

by Ed F » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:05 pm

You simply use the "Heading" font options. H2 or H3 fonts will show up as separate sections in the table of contents. Make sure you enable the Table of Contents - there's a "Yes/No" option in one of the first fields.

Ed

Ed F

by Ed F » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Brad - I'm pretty sure it's "Tenmile." I'll fix that.

RyanS

by RyanS » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:25 pm

You simply use the "Heading" font options. H2 or H3 fonts will show up as separate sections in the table of contents. Make sure you enable the Table of Contents - there's a "Yes/No" option in one of the first fields.

Thanks, Ed, I knew I was missing something simple :wink:

Andy

by Andy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:03 pm

Bump. There's new stuff being added all the time - check it out!

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 pm

OKAY. It's close to done!

I humbly submit for the Rockies Group perusal the following, as asigned to me by this illustrious group just prior to SP2 going online.

The San Juan Range Page
Overview; Access; Weather; Climbing Conditions; Wilderness Areas; National Forest Agencies; Links to Climbing Conditions Album; and a San Juan Weather Album

Appendix A
4WD Acces: The San Juan Roads; San Juan Historical Timeline; Geology

Appendix B
San Juans: One Range or Many?; Ranges of the San Juans; Incudes San Juan Ranges Album

Appendix C
San Juan Towns Overview & Lots of Links to Info Galore

Some maps will likely be added in a bit later. They won't follow the same concept that Kane used because of the huge scope of the San Juans. The whole concept had to be adjusted to the huge scope of the San Juans! For the albums, a collection of photos by fellow SP members have been utilized and credited where practical, as well as new additions from my own archives (some of the quality isn't that great).

Whew! Anyway, hope y'all like it. I've worked on this thing for almost two weeks. Then it was a matter of learning the new SP2 submission routine. A steep (but fun) learning curve for sure.

Your comments and votes are welcome. Initiating any suggestions might take a while as we're getting ready to leave for Connecticut on a mini-vacation. Also depends on whether said suggestions are appropriate for the San Juan Range page project (that's a mouthful). I am interested in assembling some sort of style consistency for the Colorado range pages, but due to the scope of this project, adjustments might not be able to be made. Hopefully this passes muster.

Enjoy!

(I also posted this is What's New February but that thread seems dead).
Last edited by Aaron Johnson on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

Aaron Johnson

by Aaron Johnson » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Ed-Your page is awesome (although a bit long). A large picture is obscured by the images thumbs at the bottom. Maybe the page is too long...? You'll want to look at it. If I click an image then come back to the page, I have to scroll down to where I was. On long pages, this can be annoying. I'm also concerned about long pages loading on slower computers.

But I'm one to talk! My San Juan pages are somewhat long as well. I tried to alleviate the length thing by creating seperate pasges as related objects, but a couple are still fairly long. Oh well. We should do what we can to keep from creating a maze. It was sorta unavoidable with my situation. I doubt everyone will see everything I've done. With a poor rating, all my work will be "detached" and disappear! Waaa!

It's an interesting experiment anyway, to see how the system handles this stuff. Even though I enjoyed the Sa Juan project, I'm still not sold on the range page concept...yet. We'll see what happens. :cry:

PreviousNext

Return to Colorado