Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Why runout bolting ?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
 

Postby justing » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:11 pm

rhyang wrote:
So I understand why the bolts were placed where they are on lead by the FA-ists, but why does that matter for us who are climbing it afterwards ? Why can't more bolts be put in to make it safer ?


We looked at each other, kinda shocked :) I thought I was gonna choke on my sammich a couple of times :lol:


If not for doing my first three leads, witnessing this conversation would have been the highlight of my day. Put up my feet and got out the popcorn. :lol:

Pretty amazing contrast between Dos Equis and Corona re:the bolts. I had thought before leading Corona, I can understand z-clipping in theory but I don't see how it would ever happen in practice. Now I can picture it!
User Avatar
justing

 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Steve Larson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 am

Guyzo wrote:Because it's not a gym. :roll:


But I climb 5.11 in the gym!!!
User Avatar
Steve Larson

 
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:12 am
Location: Glendale, California, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby SpiderSavage » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:59 am

Why run-out bolts: Because the FA chose to climb that way. Perhaps because of a ground-up ethic, or a ground up necessity. Perhaps because of the price of bolts or a lack of time. Perhaps they did it for themselves, not thinking of others. There are a long list of factors too boring to list.

If you create a climb for others, you take the time craft a route that many could climb safely.

If you climb for the sake of climbing you might leave as little trace as possible.
User Avatar
SpiderSavage

 
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: Sunland, California
Thanked: 7 times in 4 posts

Postby rhyang » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Good times at the Pinnacles :D Thanks everyone, we'll have some appropriate rhetoric in store next time someone asks this kind of stuff :mrgreen:
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Postby cb294 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:24 pm

SpiderSavage wrote:Why run-out bolts: Because the FA chose to climb that way. Perhaps because of a ground-up ethic, or a ground up necessity. Perhaps because of the price of bolts or a lack of time. Perhaps they did it for themselves, not thinking of others. There are a long list of factors too boring to list.

If you create a climb for others, you take the time craft a route that many could climb safely.

If you climb for the sake of climbing you might leave as little trace as possible.


Bolting as little as possible, as much as necesary does make sense. What does not make sense is placing bolts unsafely, regardless of absolute distances: The 2nd should always be closer to the 1st than the 1st to the ground, otherwise don´t bother placing it. If you decide to alter the rock, at least do it in a way that increases safety.

Christian
User Avatar
cb294

 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: dresden, Germany
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby lisae » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:Most likely, the bolts are where they are because that's where the drilling stances are.


+1
User Avatar
lisae

 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:09 am
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States
Thanked: 11 times in 6 posts

Postby lisae » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 pm

rhyang wrote:I think the point of this thread (mine anyway) is that while eating my sandwich I was trying to come up with what to say to this other party who was asking us things like this (forgive the rough paraphrase) -

So I understand why the bolts were placed where they are on lead by the FA-ists, but why does that matter for us who are climbing it afterwards ? Why can't more bolts be put in to make it safer ?


We looked at each other, kinda shocked :) I thought I was gonna choke on my sammich a couple of times :lol:


A confession, I had similar throughts when I first started climbing. That was before I understand what is involved in a ground up FA and bolting. Now, I notice that most routes I am on have bolts in logical places - ie at a good stance.
User Avatar
lisae

 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:09 am
Location: Santa Cruz, California, United States
Thanked: 11 times in 6 posts

Postby cb294 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:Most likely, the bolts are where they are because that's where the drilling stances are.


Most likely true for traditional routes, which therefore generally have a more "scary" feeling. I totally agree that one should stay off these routes if one doesn´t feel safe at one´s skill level (and with the mobile pro that may or may not be placeable).

However, over here in the SaxonyGermany, bolts keep on being placed like that just to preserve that "traditional" feeling, even though hand drilling, bottom up placement is no longer seen necessary. Pure madness bordering on the criminal.

Christian
User Avatar
cb294

 
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: dresden, Germany
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Guyzo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:44 pm

cb294 wrote:
SpiderSavage wrote:Why run-out bolts: Because the FA chose to climb that way. Perhaps because of a ground-up ethic, or a ground up necessity. Perhaps because of the price of bolts or a lack of time. Perhaps they did it for themselves, not thinking of others. There are a long list of factors too boring to list.

If you create a climb for others, you take the time craft a route that many could climb safely.

If you climb for the sake of climbing you might leave as little trace as possible.


Bolting as little as possible, as much as necesary does make sense. What does not make sense is placing bolts unsafely, regardless of absolute distances: The 2nd should always be closer to the 1st than the 1st to the ground, otherwise don´t bother placing it. If you decide to alter the rock, at least do it in a way that increases safety.

Christian


What Christian said is right on.

I don't put up climbs as public service.

I do them for the pure entertainment of climbing the unknown.

If bolts are needed, we slam them in. From stances or from hook placements, never on rap.

I feel that rap bolting, has it's place, but it's not for me or the crew I hang with and put up new climbs with.

Because I am involved with the first accent, the placement of the bolts is a measure of my climbing ability, it is a statement.

This is why I always like to know who exactly, did the FA.

If "Moe klinsky" did the FA. I know I had better bring it all, because that guy can climb, and he will only slam in a bolt to keep him from death. (check out "Straight to Hell" at the Needles, 5.12R)

"Tripper Jack" on the other hand, makes climbs for the masses, he will go back and add bolts so it's "well protected for the grade". (check out NewJack City out by Barstow)

It's all climbing, some fish are just bigger and meaner. :wink:

You pick your poison. Trout or Barracuda......

gk :wink:
User Avatar
Guyzo

 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:11 am
Location: Moorpark, California, United States
Thanked: 24 times in 13 posts

Postby Nate D » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:38 am

This is an important discussion, as the question posed to rhyang will only be heard more and more frequently by new and even some relatively seasoned climbers. Especially considering that "safe" sport climbs are undoubtedly rapidly outnumbering traditional "runout" routes.

I've even heard from one ground-up traditionalist that continuing to put up bold routes on lead can also be viewed as a public service, as there are plenty of climbers out there who enjoy the adventure and risk inherent in such routes. Valid in my book.

Ultimately though, as has been said, if you ever get the interesting opportunity to do an FA involving bolts, do what YOU deem comfortable. 'Cause no matter what, if anyone else climbs your route, one thing is GUARANTEED: somebody will eventually say the bolts are either too close or too far apart!

Climbers are an awfully critical lot, and you'll never please 'em all.
User Avatar
Nate D

 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:43 pm
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby rhyang » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:54 pm

I've never done an FA, nor written a guidebook. I've only seen bolts being placed once -- with Misha, HJMC, Dragger and friends replacing some on an aid practice route on the LeConte boulder in Yosemite Valley. It looked like tiring, hard work with a hammer and hand drill, and that was for bolt holes which already existed. I suspect that even before my injury I would have found it fatiguing and frightening on lead.

I sometimes wonder though if it would be worth getting involved in FA projects just for the "educational" aspects, though I'm not really interested in doing FA's myself.
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Postby ShortTimer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:41 pm

rhyang wrote:I've never done an FA, nor written a guidebook. I've only seen bolts being placed once -- with Misha, HJMC, Dragger and friends replacing some on an aid practice route on the LeConte boulder in Yosemite Valley. It looked like tiring, hard work with a hammer and hand drill, and that was for bolt holes which already existed. I suspect that even before my injury I would have found it fatiguing and frightening on lead.

I sometimes wonder though if it would be worth getting involved in FA projects just for the "educational" aspects, though I'm not really interested in doing FA's myself.


Rob, just consider that it is harder, scarier, and hurts way more than you want to imagine and leave it at that. Unless you are into that culture or a masochist, there just isn't much point in placing bolts on lead if you don't have to. If you really want an idea, go to your local bouldering area, find a pair of foot holds a foot off the ground (not to big a ones now) and stand there for 20 or 30 minutes while holding your hands above your head.
User Avatar
ShortTimer

 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:21 am
Location: California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.