Winter is a coming in the Sierra...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
The Chief

Re: Winter is a coming in the Sierra...

by The Chief » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Rob wrote:Nice weather predicted for this week.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... d2=-118.19

YEP!

And I am gonna be fish'n every day of it......

Oh, btw, don't really care if I catch anything. Just being out in the goodness of it all is worth every precious moment.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:49 pm

1000Pks wrote:Another fine set of photos that I'll have to reload every time I come back to this page and check on any further posts. A pain even with high speed connect.

Good to see, though, thanx.

The images should get cached locally. Perhaps you should set a bigger cache?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
1000Pks wrote:Another fine set of photos that I'll have to reload every time I come back to this page and check on any further posts. A pain even with high speed connect.

Good to see, though, thanx.

The images should get cached locally. Perhaps you should set a bigger cache?

With IE, that was the case. Using Mozzarella, it doesn't seem to cache much of anything, and I haven't found the settings to adjust this. Does anyone know how to work this stupid software?

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:37 pm

1000Pks wrote:No Googling, no Facebook, no spicy guacamole with bacon, there's a small community out there in PA that you might be interested in joining. IF they'd take you!

peninsula

by peninsula » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:30 pm

I was deep in Sequoia when winter came! To be exact, winter arrived October 4, 2010. It was one cold one, too!

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/6 ... -2010.html

Deb

by Deb » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 pm

Well, it was perfectly beautiful in the Grand Canyon this weekend!

bobpickering

by bobpickering » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:13 am

It's amazing how fast the snow melts. Last Wednesday, I was the first one up Mt. Rose (near Lake Tahoe) after the snow. I had to break trail the whole way. I even broke through up to my knee once. Today, I accidentally left my boots at home. I had to do the same trail in my running shoes (regular pavement shoes, not trail runners). There wasn't even enough snow left to get my shoes wet!

WML

by WML » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:03 am

And as soon as it starts to melt, take a look at what is on the horizon for them EastSidaz

Lots of moisture!

Hopefully this clears out by next weekend. Interesting thing is that snow accumulations appear to be at > 10,000 feet, but again, seems to be some moist activity rolling through next week.

edit; hrmmm, image isn't working. Forecast for South Lake will do!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text

no2haven

by no2haven » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 am

WML wrote:
Hopefully this clears out by next weekend. Interesting thing is that snow accumulations appear to be at > 10,000 feet, but again, seems to be some moist activity rolling through next week.

I wouldn't hang your hat on that...long range models are showing a nice storm setting up for next weekend with jet stream support...could be a good start for the ski season.

The following user would like to thank no2haven for this post
PellucidWombat

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:02 am

no2haven wrote:
WML wrote:

I wouldn't hang your hat on that...long range models are showing a nice storm setting up for next weekend with jet stream support...could be a good start for the ski season.

Concur 110%

Looks like 1- 1.5" of QPF with this one. 10-16" of snow above 9K w/60-80 mph winds along the ridges and local storm warnings are already being hoisted.

Be careful out there....

WML

by WML » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:04 am

The Chief wrote:
no2haven wrote:
WML wrote:

Concur 110%

Looks like 1- 1.5" of QPF with this one. 10-16" of snow above 9K w/60-80 mph winds along the ridges and local storm warnings are already being hoisted.

Be careful out there....

Agreed, just hoping that lower altitude zones on the Western side of them hills, with particular attention paid to those of which a means of arrival would be via hwy 120.

Jah provide!

Previous

Return to California