Winter Sierra climb ideas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
ElGreco

Winter Sierra climb ideas

by ElGreco » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Seeking inspiration for something to climb over the next week or two. Looking for some mixed action with some snow/ice and rock, up to moderately technical but not crazy. Objective is to get out, use some skills, have low expectations and enjoy the scenery and hopefully a summit.

I've trawled some old threads, and some ideas thrown out were Langley via Tuttle Creek, one of the ridges on Mt. Tom or White Mountain Peak, the Mo (Mt. Morrison) or Laurel Mtn, Lone Pine Peak or the broader Whitney region with a possibility for some ice low down.

Wondering what the Rock Creek area peaks might hold in store. We are likely looking at patchy and unconsolidated snow cover with postholing and some instability after the recent snowfall, but the week ahead appears dry.

Ideas welcome!

Deb

Re: Winter Sierra climb ideas

by Deb » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:58 am

North couloir of Lamarck will be mixed right now. 35-40 degrees for the most part but crossing the morraine will suck as any boulder field will for the next several weeks.
East couloir, 30-35 degree, snow-filled with some ice, of Basin then Class 4 rock to summit; easy approach. Descent thru Horton Lakes will suck.
SW ridge of Tom looks good, but the south chute is snow-covered with ice as well. 20-30 degree, steepest at exit and possibly a cornice.
For the Bishop area, those wouod be my choices.

ElGreco

by ElGreco » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:37 am

Thank you both, Deb and MJ. Toying with the idea of something on Abbot/Dade. How far up the road do you think we'd get at this point? I seem to recall ample talus higher up. Have done this in fresh snow before, not fun...

Deb

by Deb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:59 pm

magic johnson wrote:Basin mountain. LOL, he wants to climb, not hike. You can do Basin with no crampons. Also nice one with leading Daria on about lending her a bike. Great friend you are.

What is YOUR prblem?! Basin's gulley is snow and ice right now, I can see it from my house. And what is this crap about lending a bike? You don't even know all the facts. Get bent!
Yeah, go climb Emerson, enjoy the extra mileage walking up the road from Aspendale, at least it's closer than Lamarck. You will need crampons for that southern chute.

Deb

by Deb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

ElGreco wrote:Thank you both, Deb and MJ. Toying with the idea of something on Abbot/Dade. How far up the road do you think we'd get at this point? I seem to recall ample talus higher up. Have done this in fresh snow before, not fun...

Road closed at snow park; extra 5 miles to the trip. Abbott will be quite treacherous until Spring, Dade is a good choice.

artrock23

by artrock23 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Deb wrote:
ElGreco wrote:Thank you both, Deb and MJ. Toying with the idea of something on Abbot/Dade. How far up the road do you think we'd get at this point? I seem to recall ample talus higher up. Have done this in fresh snow before, not fun...

Road closed at snow park; extra 5 miles to the trip. Abbott will be quite treacherous until Spring, Dade is a good choice.

Deb, with all of the snowfall you've gotten recently in that area, do you have any current beta on the Hourglass?

Deb

by Deb » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:13 pm

I haven't been out that way recently but here's MY risk assessment – it snowed consistently for over a week at higher elevation up to this past Saturday with moderately cold temps. The snow I found at 9500' out of Bishop and 11K' in Mammoth was “perfect” in regards to water, not cement and not powder. But now the high winds have begun and the temps are going to drop dramatically mid-week. What I would suspect to find in Hourglass would be at least 2' of consistent unconsolidated (mad post-holey) with a wind crust. As Hourglass has a NE aspect, the drifts could be deep and powdery. I wouldn't think climbing it would be too much of a pain since it's only about 1000' long and not so steep BUT getting there from across boulder fields will be the biggest chore. It may snow Wed nite with very low temps and high winds, so here comes your powder. Snowshoes or skis for sure because you'll be swimming by the time you reach Chickenfoot Lake area if you're committed to staying where the trail is buried. The lakes probably aren't completely frozen, but you could take the draw from Long Lake to Treasure and skirt the eastern side. Might be nice trip this coming weekend.

The following user would like to thank Deb for this post
artrock23

artrock23

by artrock23 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks, Deb. I was thinking that the snow would be too soft this early in the season. Agreed it would be a bitch making the approach. Soft snow over talus/boulders... yuck. If the Hourglass is in, firm, and stable, I'd love to give it a go sometime in the future.

Return to California