Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

you have a "no running" training regimen

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.

Postby Peak Freak » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:42 pm

I gave up running years ago and I don't believe in training.
Just play outdoors!
I get out regulary to hike, bike, paddle, climb, snowshoe, backpack....whatever in the local mtns and try to do a weekend trip farther away once a month or more. I don't keep a log, track miles, or times, or elevation gain. Just play!
With this, I seem to be able to do pretty much anything non-technical (i.e. Denali West Buttress, Rainier Kautz Glacier) on a moment's notice.
Peak Freak

Postby Peak Freak » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:38 pm

That said... I also did the East Face of Whitney and the first 5 pitches of Professor Falls (WI4) literally on a moments notice too. :wink:
Peak Freak

Postby gobriango » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:26 am

[quote="Luciano136"]I never run! I can find better ways to ruin my knees! I bike for cardio and mountain hike for, well, mountain training. Haven't summited any of those peaks you mention but I'm confident I could do Rainier with just that for training. If I need better shape, I just up the frequency of both.[/quot

RUNNING DOESN'T RUIN KNEES.........AN UNBALANCED BODY RUINS KNEES !!!
gobriango

Postby radson » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:40 am

I have climbed Aconcagua, Matterhorn, Ama Dablam and attempted 2 x 8,000 m (Failed on weather on 1 and sickness on the other)

I like to run occasionally but fI am not able to run for at least 6 months of the year. This is due to the unavailability of a place to run

So I skip, walking lunges, squats, burpees and pushups in a 1 hour circuit. It keeps my heart rate at 160-180.

I work 12 hour days/7 days a week, so I can only really do 1 hour sessions at work. I sometimes fire off some pushups, chinups and squats in the office.
Last edited by radson on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
radson

Postby Luciano136 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:58 am

gobriango wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:I never run! I can find better ways to ruin my knees! I bike for cardio and mountain hike for, well, mountain training. Haven't summited any of those peaks you mention but I'm confident I could do Rainier with just that for training. If I need better shape, I just up the frequency of both.[/quot

Well, then a lot of people have unbalanced bodies. To me, it just makes sense; when you run it puts a lot of stress on the knee because of the shock every time you hit the ground. Everyone is built differently; some people will run for 40 years and be fine. Others just have horrible knees. I think it's mainly genetics and what you did growing up. I played basketball and it most definitely made my knees worse. Running hurts them too. Hiking doesn't.

I'd say: know your own body but the majority of runners I know end up with knee issues... Biking is lot better IMO.
Luciano136

Postby radson » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:16 am

Luciano136 wrote:
gobriango wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:I never run! I can find better ways to ruin my knees! I bike for cardio and mountain hike for, well, mountain training. Haven't summited any of those peaks you mention but I'm confident I could do Rainier with just that for training. If I need better shape, I just up the frequency of both.[/quot

Well, then a lot of people have unbalanced bodies. To me, it just makes sense; when you run it puts a lot of stress on the knee because of the shock every time you hit the ground. Everyone is built differently; some people will run for 40 years and be fine. Others just have horrible knees. I think it's mainly genetics and what you did growing up. I played basketball and it most definitely made my knees worse. Running hurts them too. Hiking doesn't.

I'd say: know your own body but the majority of runners I know end up with knee issues... Biking is lot better IMO.

I agree, genetics must be a huge factor.
radson

Postby Mark Straub » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:12 am

My whole body hips down get torn up from running, I only do it 2 1/2 months of the year (crosscountry season). I sustain injuries for about a month afterwards, then it gets better.

Hiking down steep slopes without poles and with a pack also gives me knee trouble, though, I think it's just genetics.

-Mark
Mark Straub

Postby Tom Fralich » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:54 am

I run if my life depends on it. Or if it happens to occur in the context of some sport...like tennis. Otherwise, I don't see the point...and it's bad for the knees.
Tom Fralich

Postby Luciano136 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Mark Straub wrote:My whole body hips down get torn up from running, I only do it 2 1/2 months of the year (crosscountry season). I sustain injuries for about a month afterwards, then it gets better.

Hiking down steep slopes without poles and with a pack also gives me knee trouble, though, I think it's just genetics.

-Mark

You're probably still growing a bit as well. Especially at a younger age, knees can be damaged from excessive stress (as in running a lot). Within a few years from now, your knees might actually get a bit stronger.
Luciano136

Postby rhyang » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:27 pm

My body is definitely unbalanced -- left side muscles (below C4) are weaker due to central nervous system damage. Right side sensory deficits several nerve roots down (I think) starting around mid-torso. When I jog I resemble a rag doll, barely under control. No way am I going to start running now.

But for the OP, I did Rainier in '06 (pre-injury) with a similar training regimen to what I am doing now, and Shasta three times since my injury (something like 11 times total). I train a lot partially because I have to -- with less muscle innervation I have fewer functioning muscle fibers -- the impression I get is that it is literally a use it or lose it situation.
rhyang

Postby cp0915 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:29 pm

SarahThompson wrote:I don't run at all. Have climbed Aconcagua and Rainier amongst many other things. I "train" by climbing high peaks in Colorado every weekend year round. That's it. And I've kicked butt on all of the bigger mountains I've attempted.

I can pretty much echo what Sarah says. I don't run at all (except for a bit of trail running now and then while going to/from a summit). I don't train either, but simply head into the mountains nearly 4 days a week (on average), year-round. Spent more than 150 days in the mountains last year. And like Sarah, I found the "bigger" mountains I've climbed (Rainier, Hood, Baker, Grand Teton, Moran, Orizaba, Izta, certain stuff I've done in the Andes, Alps, North Cascades, Sierra, Colorado & Canadian Rockies, etc.) to be largely rather easy (from a physical exertion standpoint). 'Course, that isn't including those miserable ascents I've done while sick...
cp0915

Postby radson » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:05 pm

MikeTX wrote:
radson wrote:So I skip, walking lunges, squats, burpees and pushups in a 1 hour circuit. It keeps my heart rate at 160-180.

Do you do this around a track or something? You've peaked my interest.

I do it on the helidick Mike. Its quite scenic although hot. Often when I train massive culumonimbus clouds form.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radson/3694713867/

Something along the lines of

2,000 skips (200 skips in 1.5 minutes followed by 30 seconds rest)

3 x 50 walking lunges

3 x (20 walking lunges with shoulder side raises, 20 a squats with vertical weighted arm raise, 12 x burpees. minute rest)

3 x (25 unweighted lunges, 25 x unweighted squats, 100 m run with 4 x push up. Minute rest)

4 x 25 pushups (30 second rest)
radson

worth a read

Postby gregorpatsch » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:07 pm

gregorpatsch

Re: worth a read

Postby bird » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:11 pm

gregorpatsch wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/phys-ed-can-running-actually-help-your-knees/

I remember seeing this. As my 82 year old father-in-law says "Use it or lose it!"
bird

PreviousNext

Return to Technique and Training