Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.33560°N / 106.17°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8897 ft / 2712 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Placer Mountain is located in the Ortiz Mountains. These small, forested mountains rise just east of the Sandia Mountains about 28 miles south of Santa Fe. Placer Mountain is located in the 1350-acre Ortiz Mountain Educational Preserve (OMEP), which is administered by Santa Fe County. Gold mining was once a major activity here, and the area is riddled by small, abandoned mine shafts. One gold mine is still active. OMEP is not a free access area. Access is controlled by a locked gate at the end of Goldmine Road. 

With an elevation of 8,897', Placer Mountain ranks way down on the New Mexico Elevation List. But the new field of Prominence has made Placer Mountain a more important peak. With a prominence of 2,087', it’s just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From the small town of Cerrillos on NM Highway 14, drive south about one mile or so to the signed Goldmine Road, also known as County Road 55. Drive up the good road about six miles to a locked gate, which is the entrance to the OMEP. This is where you will meet your guide. If you don't have a 4WD vehicle, you will have to park here.


External Links

Ortiz Mountains Educational Preserve Information

New Mexico Prominence Map


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.