Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.24697°N / 105.78895°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8637 ft / 2633 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gallinas Peak is an isolated mountain located in central New Mexico near the small town of Corona. It is located in the Cibola National Forest. Gallinas Peak is a relatively unknown mountain. It's surrounded by the sparsely populated and desolate high plains of central New Mexico. However, Gallinas Peak itself is heavily forested, and dominates the landscape near Corona. It is a prominent landmark for passing travelers on US 54 and NM 42. The summit of Gallinas Peak contains radio towers and a fire lookout. Fires ravaged the mountain in 2004, but the summit was spared. A road leads all the way to the top of Gallinas Peak. There are no trails in this remote division of the Cibola National Forest, but there are several good roads that lead into it. There is also one small, primitive campground. The new field of Prominence has made Gallinas Peak a more important mountain. With a prominence of 2,167', it's just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From Corona, drive south on US 54 for about ten miles. Turn right onto Gallinas Road (County Road D 026). This road turns into Forest Road 161 once you enter the Cibola National Forest. About ten miles from US 54, turn right onto Red Cloud Canyon Road (Forest Road 99). If you want to climb to the top, drive north about two miles and park here. Otherwise, you can keep driving all the way to the top.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Cibola National Forest, Mountainair Ranger District, at 505-847-2982 for the latest information.

Forest Service Map: Cibola National Forest (Mountainair Ranger District).
Topo Map: Pajaro Canyon.

Camping

The primitive Red Cloud Campground is located three miles southeast of Gallinas Peak.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
technicolorNH

technicolorNH - May 12, 2019 6:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Two updates

County Road D 026 is now signed as Gallinas Road. FR99 is now signed as Red Cloud Canyon Road. There are signs still present for FR161 however and the directions remain the same otherwise.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.