Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 42.91985°N / 112.35661°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6791 ft / 2070 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pocatello Range - (6,791 feet)

The Pocatello Range is located southeast of the city of Pocatello. It consists of several lower elevation mountains. The highest mountain in the range is Chinese (Chinks) Peak. Name was changed to Chinese Peak in more recent decades due to it's racial context. It was named for the Chinese workers who helped build the railroad and worked on the mines near Pocatello. There is a solid dirt road/trail that goes to its summit. A fire lookout was built in 1962 but was destroyed in 2003. There are many dirt roads throughout the range suited for ATV, mountain bikers, dirt bikes, and runners. Popular spot to be active in. Some of the other named and more prominent mountains in the range include Moonlight Mountain and Camelback Mountain.

Getting There

Sits right next to Pocatello. The range comes right up against the city. You can reach the range on several different roads/highways. Specifcially highway 86 & 15. It sits east to north east of Pocatello.

Red Tape

No red tape rescticiton in this area. They do have a shooting bans in many parts of the range due to the heavy foot traffic. The area also has lots of private property that your not allowed to trespass on. Prior to doing any hike, be sure to do your research on the availabe BLM land that you can explore on so that you can respect those privacy laws.

Camping

Not many designated camp sights in this range. Places you can establish a campsite yourself. Anything current There is a local scout camp site. If any exist I am sure someone will update that in the comments. Be sure to keep an eye out for the fire ban seasons. It is not uncommon for Idaho to have strict fire ban rules during mid-late summer due to the dryness of the area. Check with the local area to ensure you are abiding by this law.

There is the Cairbou Yurt and scout camps up the road from the main part of the range.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.