Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.47486°N / 106.80727°W
Additional Information County: Doña Ana
Additional Information Elevation: 5315 ft / 1620 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Near the summitPoint 5315’s summit.

Point 5315 is located in the Doña Ana Range just outside of Las Cruces, New Mexico. The range is divided into three geographic sections (northern, central, and southern). Point 5315 is situated in the central section, which is the lowest in elevation of the three sections. The prominence of this mountain is 345 feet.

Wildlife you might see in the Doña Ana Mountains include fox, mule deer, badger, pronghorn antelope, coyote, gemsbok, bobcat, mountain lion, roadrunner, golden eagle, hawk, and quail.

Getting There

From I-25 in Las Cruces, take US Hwy 70 east for about 3.5 miles. Take the Mesa Grande Drive exit and stay in the left lane as the off-ramp merges with the eastbound frontage road that runs parallel to the highway. When the off-ramp widens further to the left with another lane, go the far left lane as this will allow you to make a U-turn underneath the Hwy 70 overpass just before Mesa Grande Drive. After making the U-turn, you will now be on the westbound frontage road that runs parallel with the highway on the north side. After going about 0.75 miles on the westbound frontage road, turn right onto North Jornada Road and drive north. After about 1.5 miles, Jornada will go from asphalt to grated gravel. Continue north on Jornada for 5 more miles, then turn left onto County Road D-063; there will be a sign for the Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park at this turn. Go about 4.0 miles west on D-063 and turn right onto the 4WD road and head northwest towards Point 5315. The road ends in an open clearing near a fence line. From the parking area, you will be .5 miles from the summit.

NOTE: The Chihuahuan Desert Nature Park is accessible via 2WD. Use extreme caution if proceeding beyond this point in a 2WD vehicle – in some areas you will need 4WD.

Route to summit

There is no trail to the summit, but I recommend ascending the east slope. There are extensive formations of rock bands near the summit that must be negotiated to gain the summit. In addition to the route finding required due to the lack of a trail, light scrambling through the rock formations near the top keeps things interesting. The route is about 0.6 miles one way with 500 feet elevation gain.

Camping

Camping is permitted in the area; no fees or permits required. There are no developed campsites or facilities.

Red Tape

No fees. BLM rules apply. Remember to leave no trace. Accessible 24 hours a day.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Doña Ana MountainsMountains & Rocks