Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.08560°N / 106.4559°W
Additional Information County: Bernalillo
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7860 ft / 2396 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 7860 is on the southern end of the Sandia Mountains. It is a seldom visited summit that requires a little bit of route finding to get there. The summit offers nice views of South Sandia Peak and the Manzanos. You will also find some solitude since you are unlikely to see anyone else on this peak.
Moon over Boulder RidgeBoulder Ridge

New Mexico Rank: 1227
Prominence: 440'
Quadrangle: Tijeras

Rank and Prominence information from
Lists of John

Getting There

From the center of Albuquerque travel East on I-40 to exit 167 (Tramway Blvd) From the exit ramp turn left (north) and go under the highway continuing on Tramway to the 2nd stoplight at Copper Ave. Turn Right (east) onto Copper Ave and continue for approximatly 0.75 miles until the road dead-ends at the TH. There are a number of parking spots here as well as parking along the road.

Route Overviews

Point 7860 TopoPoint 7860 Topo

Boulder Ridge Trail: This route follows Pt 7420's Waterfall route to the saddle between Pt 7420 and Boulder Ridge. Once the ridge begins to decsend a faint trail splits off leading to the summit of Pt 7860. The summit is comprised of a few boulders that can be easily climbed from the west side. Overall a fun route with great rock formations along the Boulder Ridge.









Views from the summit:
South SandiaLooking NE: The summit of South Sandia Peak
The ManzanosLooking S: The Manzano Mountains
South Sandia CliffsLooking E: The cliffs on the west side of Sandia Crest
Clouds over the ManzanosLooking S: The Manzanos and the plains to the west

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required. Dogs should be leashed and picked up after. There are bags at the trailhead for your use as well as garbage cans.

Parking at the trailhead is limited but there is also parking along the street. However, hours are limited:
April-October: 0700 - 2100
November-March: 0700 - 1900

Camping

There is one camping area with a fire pit. However, the site is within the Sandia Foothills Openspace and camping is not allowed there. As this is a short hike there should be no need for camping here.

External Links

Local weather: Albuquerque
City of Albuquerque open space info: here
Local Search and Resuce Team: Cibola SAR

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sandia MountainsMountains & Rocks