Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 32.06410°N / 84.91865°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located west of Lumpkin, GA (or southwest Georgia for those unfamiliar with the state), Providence Canyon is one of three canyon park lands in the state of Georgia. The other two are Tallulah Gorge and Cloudland Canyon (if anyone knows that there are more, please let us all know in the comments section).
The  spires peak through the trees on the backcountry Trail


Providence Canyon is also known as Georgia's "Little Grand Canyon" and is considered one of Georgia's Seven Natural Wonders. The park is roughly 1,100 acres in size and contains sixteen different small canyons on its grounds, though not all of them have trails leading into or around them.

NOTE: The canyon is not a natural feature, but instead was initially created by poor farming practices used in the area during the 1800s. In the late 1800s, the gullies caused by erosion and water run-off were recorded to be approximately five feet deep. That process has continued to this day, with some of the deepest gullies in the canyon now over 150 deep.

At the visitor's center, there is a small field museum on the geology of the area, as well as a short (~13 minute) video discussing the history and formation of the canyon.

Also from the visitors center, there are two trails that can be taken in the park. One is the seven mile Backcountry Trail. This trail leads away from the majority of the canyons, but does provide some interesting views of some other canyons in the park.

The most interesting trail is the 3 mile long Canyon Rim Trail. It not only goes around the East side of the Canyon allowing for some spectacular views of the canyon, but on the west side, the trail descends into the valley floor and allows you to walk into 10 of the slots of the canyon. Please remember that climbing is strictly forbidden in this area. Sadly, even though marking the walls is also prohibited, many people have left marks on the canyon walls.
View of Providence Canyon seen from the Backcountry Trail
Another view from the valley floor

Getting There

Providence Canyon is located seven miles west of Lumpkin, GA.

Map to the park is provided by google maps. Enter your starting address and get customized directions.

If you would like to use some other software for directions, the address is:

Providence Canyon State Park
Route 1, Box 158
Lumpkin , GA 31815

Red Tape

Like all of the Georgia State Parks, there is a daily use fee for parking anywhere within the park. Annual Georgia Park Passes are good at all state parks. The daily fee is $3.00 while the annual pass available from the park service is for sale for $45.00.

While it might be tempting, going off trail, bouldering, and climbing are all strictly prohibited within the park grounds.

Camping

There are a limited number (6) of camping spots available on the backcountry trail. Permits are required to use them and can be obtained for free at the Information Office on the campground, or can be reserved over the web. See contact information provided below to make a reservation.

For those seeking different accomodations, more camping spaces and cottages are available nearby at Florence Marina State Park on Lake Walter F. George.

External Links

Providence Canyon State Park
Route 1, Box 158
Lumpkin , GA 31815
Reservations (800) 864-7275
Park (229) 838-6202
Official Web Page

For other camping opportunities in the area:

Florence Marina State Park
Route 1, Box 36
Omaha , GA 31821
Reservations (800) 864-7275
Park (229) 838-6870
Official Web Page

Weather for the area provided by weather.com.