Puppy Dog

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.83830°N / 117.171°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: EEEE-ZEEE
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

At base of Big Rock, following along to the right of center, which is where "The Trough" is located, the path along the base of the rock begins to ascend and get bushy with POISON OAK, the start of "Puppy Dog" will be 2 routes to the right of a sporty slab; exactly where the rock face begins to undulate and display dark patches of scale-like rock.

Route Description

A totally fun sporty route with interestingly formed rock texture. The first bolt is approx 10' off the deck; very chunky hand and foot holds make this simple with pleasant moves. Transitting past the second bolt is the crux with thin feet and basically no hand holds but good friction; once clipped to second bolt, you can cruise and enjoy through the 3rd bolt and onward to anchor.
Anchor chains are available on the wall after 3rd easy bolt. Rappel from here or continue upward to top of rock for an unevent easy pitch. Setting up a toprope for nearby routes at first anchor is a good option.
A bit of reptilian free solo...So easy, it can actually be free-soloed!

Gear Required

7 quick draws
cordalette and locking 'biner for belay anchor
one rope for rappel from 1st belay
two ropes or two rappels from summit

Iguana not necessary, but certainly entertaining.
Just about all the gear...Some of the required gear, you figure it out.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.