Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.35710°N / 118.09516°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5307 ft / 1618 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview and History

Not to be confused with Rabbit Peak of Riverside County, Rabbit Peak #1 stands on the western end of the San Gabriel's surrounded by nearby peaks;
Topo Map of Rabbit Peak RoutesTopo Map of Routes to Rabbit Peak
Granite Mountain, Round Top Mountain, and Iron Mountain #3. Consequently all four of these peaks are often climbed as one big loop (roughly 8-9 miles, 3600 feet of elevation gain). A rough and relatively unmaintained road leads almost to the summit, but for those without a 4x4 or high-clearance vehicle, the road will be part of the hike.[img:247112:alignright:small:looking up at the south ridge]

Sierra Club History:

Name was given by the USFS. Angeles N.F. Wildlife Biologist Bill Brown believes it was most likely in reference to the native Brush Rabbit (Sylvilagus bachmani).

At the southern base of this hill and along Mill Creek, there was some gold mining activity in the 1880's.

This too was once believed to be the historic site of the fabled Lost Padres mine-whispered as the source of gold dust for Mission San Fernando Rey de EspaƱa. This bonanza has yet to be found.

Peak was on the original 1946 HPS Peak List.

Getting There

DRIVING:


Monte Cristo Campground:
From the South:
*From the intersection of I-210 and Angeles Crest Highway (SR 2), drive north on Angeles Crest Highway 9.5 miles to Angeles Forest Highway. Turn left (north).
*Go 9.9 miles to the entrance to Monte Cristo Campground on the right. Turn right and then immediately left onto dirt road 3N23, OR park in the campground and continue on foot up the road. BE ADVISED the road is rough, rocky, and crosses a stream twice before coming to a junction. At the junction stay left as the road becomes more steep. A 4x4 or high-clearance vehicle will be most necessary. Park either at the junction, the campground, or cheat and park at the highest point just south-east of the summit.

From the North:
*Exit the 14 freeway for the Angeles Crest Highway.
*Continue roughly 14 miles up and over Mill Creek Summit/Ranger Station and down to the entrance to Monte Cristo Campground.
*Continue using the above directions.


View Larger Map
Here are Google Map Directions for your own custom directions.

Pacifico Road:

For the Pacifico Road trailhead at Mill Creek summit, drive 5 mile furhter North down Angeles Forest Highway.


View Larger Map
Here are Google Map Directions for your own custom directions.

Routes

[img:368997:alignleft:medium:Topo Map of Routes to Rabbit Peak]
The main routes to Rabbit Peak are shown on the Topo map to the left and will be described briefly:

Via Monte Cristo Campground - Direct Route
Shown in Blue on the Topo Map. From the campground, follow the dirt road (3N23) for 3.2 miles to a location just southwest of the summit (note, you can also drive a 4x4 to this spot usually). Stay to your left at both intersections along the dirt road. The point to leave the road is also right near the high voltage power lines (overhead). From this point, scramble east up from the road to the ridge leading to Rabbit Peak. There are some very steep sections here. Once on the ridge, follow it north to the summit.

Via Monte Cristo Campground - Indirect Loop Route
Shown in Green on the Topo Map. From the campground you can also hike a loop and bag 4 summits in one trip. In this case, you would hike Iron Mountain #3, Round Top Mountain, Granite Mountain and then end with Rabbit Peak. You follow the initial dirt road for only approx. 2 miles and then follow the road to the right at the first intersection. Follow this road up to the Ridge leading to Iron Mountain. After Iron, return to the road and continue on to the remaining mountains per the route on the map. More info on the loop can be found on the Granite Mountain page.

Via Mill Creek Summit
Shown in Red on the Topo Map. Depending on the time of the year, you can either hike up or drive the road to Mount Pacifico from Mill Creek Summit 3.5 miles to a fireroad on the right (3N90) heading south (the road is closed for the winter). Follow the fireroad south for 1 mile (again, hike or drive) to near the summit of Granite Mountain. From here, follow the ridge to Rabbit Peak (shown in Green on the Topo).

Red Tape

A "Forest Adventure Pass" is required for parked cars in the Angeles National Forest. USUALLY the ticket for not having one costs the same amount as the day pass itself. They are available from local sporting goods stores for $30(year) or $5(day).

Camping

The hike/road starts from Monte Cristo Campground. It is open year-round. More info is found here.

Weather

Check out the 10 day forecast

GPS Data

Here is my GPS track for downloading and Google Map of the entire loop hike.