Radlovac & VPP from the coast

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.64240°N / 15.04330°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

About Route


This is one of only two marked routes that ascend up the Mid Velebit from the coast (the other one leads to Dabarska Kosa from Karlobag). It begins in Cacici village (read Chachichi) that is placed by the Adriatic Road, 10km from Karlobag in Senj direction. This is classic type of ascent up the seaboard side of Velebit. One of the things this implies is rocky path where feet would be thankful if your shoes have thicker sole. Till Radlovac slope is under low hornbeam and oak trees which means no shade during hot days. Finally this also implies great views towards diminishing islands on beautiful blue Adriatic. In foreground is bare rocky Pag island with numerous others in the background.

Till Radlovac ascent is divided in two parts. Slope of first step, behind which Radlovac is placed, has a small terrace. Actually it has two. Cacici village is placed on the lower, some 200m above the sea. In the first part path leads from the village over the first terrace behind the village and up the slope below second terrace. Before hitting second and higher section of ascent path crosses over second terrace. Above Radlovac is another ascent till the Premuziceva Staza path/VPP trail.

Radlovac path can be used as coastal approach to Kugina Kuca hut or Satorina. Those in great shape can ascent Satorina and return to coast in one day. This undertaking is possible only during longest days because of huge altitude difference and distance.

Cacici – Radlovac: 2.30h


Marks begin by the Adriatic road between the house with larger parking space (in front of it) and house with partial red iron fence. Wide rocky path goes between high rocky fences that end and begin again. After initial perpendicular direction towards Velebit path turns left and heads towards rocky head of Stipcev Vrh (546m). Right below it path will cross over the lower step. After some 15mins of almost flat terrain wide rocky path begins to ascent, on places steeply. Views towards sea are beautiful. 50mins from the village you are on the pass below Stipcev Vrh.

In 10mins of almost flat terrain or gradually ascent across the terrace path goes by long rocky fence on the right. Behind/above it be careful not to miss marks. For a short stretch they go right but then gradually path turns left. Steeper ascent begins here but it is nowhere steep as path winds up the slope in numerous bends with great views towards the sea. Some 40mins from terrace you’ll reach group of rocks/small cliffs called Sosinica. Shortly after path reaches small terrace behind them where terrain flattens. At present marks suddenly end here! Pass at the edge of Radlovac is just above you. But because of dense low oaks and hornbeams it is almost not possible to go straight up towards it. To get there just keep the present direction of going as marks disappear. Visible path gradually ascents in same direction you had while entering the terrace. After some 5mins, once terrain around path clears, it turns sharply right, by 180°. From that point it keeps straight direction towards the pass, gradually ascending. After 5mins you are on the edge of short bare valley between the peaks of first step of Velebit, which leads to nearby Radlovac. On the left Ogradjenik (1604m) is visible while in front, behind Radlovac, is Matijevic Brijeg (1611m).

From here path heads straight through the valley, passing by circular rocky fence. Through the ‘street’ between rocky fences and over small barrier path brings you to Radlovac, 10mins from the edge of its side valley.

In short descent, by the renovated small house on the left, you’ll get to small Sveti Rok chapel which is at the center of Radlovac.

Radlovac – VPP: 30mins


From Radlovac there are 2 options to reach Premuziceva Staza path which is part of VPP (Velebit long distance trail) and traverses slopes of Kovrinac (1249m) and Ljuljacka (1278m) some 200m above Radlovac.

Splovina variation leads to Splovina junction of paths east above Radlovac. This path is suitable if you are heading towards Kugina Kuca refuge via Bacic Plan, Budakovo Brdo (1319m), Dabarski Kukovi or Ostarije.
From the chapel mark turn right, going along the southern edge of Radlovac, partially through nice beech forest that grows on northern slope of Kurozeb (1167m). After some 10mins graduall ascent towards the junction begins which you reach in additional 20mins.
On the junction straight forwards path leads towards Kugina Kuca refuge, right Premuziceva Staza heads towards Ostarije while left towards Alan pass.

Kovrinac variation heads towards north from center of Radlovac towards the junction on Premuziceva Staza below Kovrinac (1249m). This path is suitable if you are heading towards Kugina Kuca refuge via Smojverske Dulibe, Satorina (1624m), Ogradjenica refuge, Stirovaca valley or Veliki Alan pass.
From the chapel go downhill and little bit to the right. You’ll notice a ‘street’ between rocky fences. At the end of first stretch turn left through another ‘street’. At its end you are on grassy side. Turn semi right here and head into the valley north of Radlovac. Path gradually ascends right above the fences. At the bottom of the forest is square fenced grassy slope (15mins from the chapel). Right by it path enters the forest and ascents some 15mins till the junction.
On the junction straight forwards path leads towards Kugina Kuca refuge, right Premuziceva Staza heads towards Ostarije while left towards Alan pass.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SatorinaRoutes