Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.80710°N / 71.8404°W
Additional Information Elevation: 1594 ft / 486 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the top of Rattlesnake...



Rattlesnake is a classic rock climbing mountain that lies just in the western section of the White Mountains. With hundreds of different rock climbing routes and many different elevations of cliffs, Rattlesnake is quickly becoming one of the most well known rock climbing areas in New Hampshire. Rating of routes go all the way up to the Predator which is a 5.13 overhang. There are plenty of other routes but route should chosen wisely because of the sharp rock at the location (thanks to Natreb for information). The rock climbing can be busy on nice weekends so don't be surprised by the many others on location.

But Rattlesnake is not only a destination for rock climbing but for hiking as well. Despite having such a short height, the top of Rattlesnake has beautiful near 360 degree views. Mountains such as Carr Mountain, Mt. Kineo, and Stinson Mtn. lie to the north while Mt. Cardigan and Tenney Mountain lie to the south. The hiking trail which turns to a loop trail towards the summit takes only 2.5 miles to complete and is well worth it for the views.

From the top of Rattlesnake...



Not to be misses though are the beautiful views of the quaint town of Rumney, NH. The shot of this town from Rattlesnake represents best the stereotypical rural lifestyle of northern New England.

Getting There

VIA RATTLESNAKE TRAILHEAD AT BUFFALO ROAD: From I-93 north get of on Exit 26 (25, 3A) toward Plymouth and Rumney. Take 25 west past the traffic circle (2.5 miles from highway) and continue until you hit Stinson Lake Road. Make a right on Stinson Lake Road and head into the town of Rumney. Once you the crossroads of Rumney make a left onto Buffalo Road and take Buffalo Road two and half miles west to the trailhead which will be on your right. You will pass the rock climbing parking areas at about 1.0 and 1.5 miles.

VIA ROCK CLIMBING AREA ON BUFFALO ROAD: From I-93 north get of on Exit 26 (25, 3A) toward Plymouth and Rumney. Take 25 west past the traffic circle (2.5 miles from highway) and continue until you hit Stinson Lake Road. Make a right on Stinson Lake Road and head into the town of Rumney. Once you the crossroads of Rumney make a left onto Buffalo Road and take Buffalo Road roughly a mile and the parking areas will be on your right.

Red Tape

The rock climbing area has White Mountain National Forest Parking Fee of $3 for the day, $5 for the week, or a $25 season pass. The Rattlesnake Trail though has no fee.

When To Climb

This mountain can be climbed at any time. Crampons and snowshoes are highly recommended though in winter due to the fact that this trail is steep in places and that there are time when the snow is deep.

Camping

Rattlesnake is only a 2.5 mile hike that can be done in two hours. However if you interested in camping then see the Backcountry Camping Rules in the AMC White Mountain Guide.



Mountain Conditions

Refer to John's Mount Lafayette Page.

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.