Refuge - Gamila summit

Refuge - Gamila summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.98634°N / 20.80760°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log
Add Overview text here.

Getting There

Same approach as for the refuge trail :

The trail is part of the 03 National Trail coming from Vikos gorge in the south and crossing Gamila from W to E.
Even though a branch of this trail starts from Megalo (=big) Papigo village (39.96778/20.7275), most people prefer to drive up to Mikro (=small) Papigo village (<1km E) and start from there.


Route Description

Frm the refuge descend 100 meters to the lake at 1800 meters, then take the east direction under the Ploskos south slopes, reach a pass at about 2350 meters and follow ther ridge up to the summit at almost 2500 meters. There are some signs showing the trail at frequent intervals, and the summit can be seen from shortly after the lake at 1800 meters.

Essential Gear

Hiking shoes, ice axe before July. In late May 2006 the trail was completely covered with snow from the lake at 1800 meters to the summit.

Don't forget sun lotion and glasses, you're in Greece ! But take also warm and rain clothes, the weather of this area is known to be very unstable and could get stormy quickly.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.