ridge traverse - Hocheck - Mittelspitze

ridge traverse - Hocheck - Mittelspitze

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.55000°N / 12.92000°E
Additional Information Route Type: via ferrata - scramble secured with cables
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The traverse is usually done from north to south. Starting point is the Watzmannhaus (German alpin association (DAV), section München).

Most often used starting point Wimbachbrücke. From there the approach to Watzmannhaus follows a well-marked path. From Wimbachbrücke (600m) to- Watzmannhaus (1928m), approx. 1300m, 3½ h. Much nicer is the Rinnkendl trail, starting at St. Bartholomä on the Königsee. A little exposed it provides stunning views of the Königsee and the Steinernes Meer.

Most people sleep at the Watzmannhaus and embark early in the morning on the climb.

From Watzmannhaus, there is a marked path leading up to the first Watzmann Summit, the Hocheck. Some cables, but pretty easy. Less experienced hikers stop here.


Route Description


The ridge traverse begins at the northernmost Watzmann summit, the Watzmannn Hocheck (see Approach).

The path follows directly the ridge, sometimes it goes into the west flank of the mountain. It is not difficult to climb (scramble I-II), but some stretches are pretty exposed (secured with cables).
From Watzmannhaus to Südgipfel it takes about 4 hours.
Descent: Through the south flank (sometimes very slippery scree) you descend towards the Wimbachgries (3 hrs.). The descent is marked. Be careful to follow the markings, as it is a very poor idea to try (and make) a shortcut above Wimbachgrieshütte. From the Wimbachgries Hut, it takes another 2 hours to Ramsau.

From Watzmannhaus to Hocheck (2651m), approx. 730m, 2h, easy scramble (I). Ridge traverse from Hocheck via Mittelspitze (2713m) to Südspitze (2712m) 1½-2h, via ferrata (II). From Südspitze to Wimbachgrieshütte (1327m) approx. 1400m descent, 2½-4h. From Wimbachgrieshütte to Wimbachbrücke approx. 700m descent, 2½ h.

From Wimbachbrücke to Wimbachbrücke a whopping 2500m, distance about 26km, 9-14h.

Essential Gear


Experienced climbers do not need any specialized gear. Less experienced should take an harness, so they can clip into the cable
on the exposed stretches

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Ari

Ari - Feb 22, 2002 5:15 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Most often used starting point Wimbachbrücke. From there the approach to Watzmannhaus follows a well-marked path. From Wimbachbrücke (600m) to- Watzmannhaus (1928m), approx. 1300m, 3½ h.

From Watzmannhaus to Hocheck (2651m), approx. 730m, 2h, easy scramble (I). Ridge traverse from Hocheck via Mittelspitze (2713m) to Südspitze (2712m) 1½-2h, via ferrata (II). From Südspitze to Wimbachgrieshütte (1327m) approx. 1400m descent, 2½-4h. From Wimbachgrieshütte to Wimbachbrücke approx. 700m descent, 2½ h.

From Wimbachbrücke to Wimbachbrücke a whopping 2500m, distance about 26km, 9-14h.

Ari

Ari - Mar 1, 2002 5:18 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

During the descent, It is a very poor idea to try (and make) a shortcut above Wimbachgrieshütte...

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

WatzmannRoutes