Right Fork of Maple Canyon

Right Fork of Maple Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.08800°N / 111.527°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the approach section on the front page for directions to the Maple Canyon Trailhead/Campground. There are no fees or registrations needed, just pull in and go.

Route Description


This is the most popular way to climb Spanish Fork Peak. From the trailhead in Maple Canyon (elev. 5,500’), follow the trail east alongside the stream for about half a mile. Watch for a split where you cross the stream to the right (south) and begin climbing up the Right Fork of Maple Canyon. This trail climbs quite steeply for almost 3,000 feet alongside a small stream to reach Maple Lake (elev. 8,750’). Spanish Fork Peak stays hidden until you reach the lake, so be prepared for a couple hours of relatively unchanging scenery and relentless climbing. You soon bend west and arrive at the small lake. The trail passes the lake and turns back north ascending to the ridge at about 9,600 feet. Snow lingers in this basin into early summer, but should present no problems and does not require an axe. From the ridge the trail heads around a sub-peak on the west slopes. The western exposure melts snow quickly, but I still found a few icy patches in mid-June. A final haul up the bland west slope leads to the summit.

Essential Gear


Standard Wasatch day hike. A good pair of boots and adequate water are likely the most important items.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
rmjwinters

rmjwinters - Sep 23, 2011 12:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Mileage & Signage

From the east end of the campground it is 0.25 miles to Trail 007, Right Fork Maple Canyon Trail. There is a single-log bridge across the stream. Mileage signs have been place every 0.5 miles along the trail.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.