Rock climbing at Sorrueda

Rock climbing at Sorrueda

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Flora, Scenery, Water

Rock pillars at Sorrueda
Rock pillars at Sorrueda
The view towards the canyon from the village of Sorrueda
A wide, dry riverbed forms the valley floor of Barranco de Tirajana. But although the climate is semi-arid, as testified by the cactusses, the width of the bed suggest that there are times when a whole lot of water comes down here.

This photo is taken from the village of Sorrueda. Just a little bit upstream lies a canyon with lots of bolted climbing routes. The first rocks can be seen on the left, and there are many more.
After Tamadaba, Sorrueda may well be the second best place on Gran Canaria for rock climbing on bolted routes. There are lots of routes, at all levels of difficulty. Nothing long though; the longest one we climbed was somewhere between 15 and 20 m. To be precise, the rock climbing area is named after the nearby village of Sorrueda, but the small canyon with all the routes is part of the much bigger Barranco de Tirajana.

The area has the added advantage that it's located in the southern half of the island, where, statistically, precipitation levels are relatively low. In addition, the rock walls being in a small canyon also means it's well sheltered from high winds. In fact, less favorable weather elsewhere was the reason that Jan and I went there no less than three times during our short trip to the island. And there were still a couple of routes within our capabilities that we didn't even have time to try, and loads more that we might be able to do if we get some more practice. It would be no punishment to go back there one day!


The paddle points at Sorrueda. Zoom in for a closer view, or Click here to view a larger map





Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.