Rock Rimmon, Main Wall

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.99870°N / 71.4864°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 5.5-5.12
Sign the Climber's Log

Shot of the Main Wall from the Base

Approach

From I-293 NORTH: Get off of Amoskeag Bridge exit 6. Stay left and make a left. Go past Dunkin Donuts on you right. Make a right on Bremer Street, IMMEDIATELY past the small used auto dealer. Go up the turning hill and straight through Coolidge Street. Make a right on Rimmon Street just before Beaulieu's Mini Market. Take Rimmon Street to Mason Street. Make a left on Mason Street and continue down Mason Street where Rock Rimmon will stand right before you. Stay on Mason Street and the parking area for Rock Rimmon Park lies on your right past the elementary school.

FROM 1-293 SOUTH: Get off on Exit 6. Once off the ramp get into the very left lane heading away from the Amoskeag Bridge (over the river). Stay left at the stoplight. Once you cross over the I-293 Bridge Street make another left at the light and immediately get into the right lane (Don't go on the ramp towards Nashua or Boston or go back around the circle. From there you on the route which you would have been on had you made a left from I-293 North. From there follow the North directions.



Route Description

Rock climbing season is about...


It is often said that the city of Manchester, New Hampshire is close to everything but palm trees and deserts. This is especially the case for rock climbing. This southern wall has some exciting granite with great views of the city. There are dozens of routes on this rock and it would take a person months to complete all the different routes. And unlike most rock climbs, you are are the summit when you are done with this section.

This cliff, which is angled between 75-90 degrees, has some good overhanges heading toward the top. Though it is only 150 feet from the base of cliff to the top of the cliff, It still looks very commanding from the base. Use caution on this rock because on the actual rock wall there is a large amount of glass that has blown off the summit.

There are a couple of hook as well as a number of trees, etc. in which you can toprope from. You can also do some simple leads from this area as well. Among the most famous routes is the 5.5 Zig-Zag route. There are some easier route however I would recommend the "slabs" first for beginners.

If you are rock climbing for the first time I would suggest trying the West Wall first. That section is much easier and there is less likelihood of injury.

Essential Gear

Bring all essential rock climbing gear:

Helmet, rope, proper footwear, belay gear, chalk, etc.

CAUTION!!

WATCH OUT FOR GLASS ON THIS CLIFF!!



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.