The Eastern Rocks

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.99870°N / 71.4864°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Boulder
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-5.5
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description


**THIS IS NOT THE ROCK RIMMON CLIFF ITSELF. THAT IS A 5.5 TO 5.12 ROCK CLIMB**

This great scrambling area just to the east of Rock Rimmon adds an exciting approach to the top of Rock Rimmon without the need for technical equipment. There are a wide array of different rocky section that make for some great scrambles. Most in this section does not need a rope. However like all scrambles use good judgement and caution. This is especially the case in winter, where the rocks can be wet and slippery (unfortunately not enough for ice climbing).

The main rock does have some sections where a rope is need and the rock does go up to 5.5 in difficulty. For here is a simple tree in which can be used in toproping. though this is a good rope to try. I personally would recommend the Western Wall, slabs to a beginner because there are a little higher and the climber can grow more confidence early.

Once you are done with scrambling these slabs of rocks, head then over to an ATV which will travel 0.2 miles to the summit of Rock Rimmon.

Approach

From I-293 NORTH: Get off of Amoskeag Bridge exit 6. Stay left and make a left. Go past Dunkin Donuts on you right. Make a right on Bremer Street, IMMEDIATELY past the small used auto dealer. Go up the turning hill and straight through Coolidge Street. Make a right on Rimmon Street just before Beaulieu's Mini Market. Take Rimmon Street to Mason Street. Make a left on Mason Street and continue down Mason Street where Rock Rimmon will stand right before you. Stay on Mason Street and the parking area for Rock Rimmon Park lies on your right past the elementary school. The eastern rocks will be to the right of Rock Rimmon.

FROM 1-293 SOUTH: Get off on Exit 6. Once off the ramp get into the very left lane heading away from the Amoskeag Bridge (over the river). Stay left at the stoplight. Once you cross over the I-293 Bridge Street make another left at the light and immediately get into the right lane (Don't go on the ramp towards Nashua or Boston or go back around the circle. From there you on the route which you would have been on had you made a left from I-293 North. From there follow the North directions.



Essential Gear


You don't need to bring much except for a sturdy pair of shoes if you are bouldering or scrambling. However if you choose the main rock and a technical climb you will need the essential equipment. When scrambling in this area, scramble to your ability. There are some sections of these rocks on the eastern side that need some ropes. I wouln't advise scrambling here in winter due to slippery conditions.

When to Scramble


Spring to Fall.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.