Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.81507°N / 122.06141°W
Additional Information County: Contra Costa
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2024 ft / 617 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Diablo, 3,849   from Rocky Ridge north summitMt. Diablo from Rocky Ridge north summit
Rocky Ridge is a 4 mile long ridge that runs northwesterly on the west side of Bollinger Canyon across from Las Trampas Ridge in the Las Trampas Regional Wilderness east of Oakland in the SF Eastbay. This is a moderate hike to an open grassy ridge with 4 peaks at the northwestern end or a 3.8 mile loop along the southeastern part of the ridge.
The 4 summits at the northwest end command outstanding views of Mt. Diablo and most of the surrounding Eastbay hills. This section of Rocky Ridge requires a simple permit. The loop trail runs along the northeast slope to the top and back and requires no permit.

Getting There

Northwest from the west summit of Rocky RidgeNorth from Rocky Ridge west summit
From Interstate 680 in San Ramon go west on Crow Canyon Road 1.2 miles. Turn right and go north on Bollinger Canyon Road 4.5 miles past the first entrance to a parking lot down to the left.
Loop Trail: Go through the Cattle gate at the north end of the parking lot and hike up .5 miles on a paved road. Take the Cuesta Trail on the left as it goes southeast approximately 1.4 miles along the northeast slope then curves right up to the 1,893' point on top of the ridge to the Upper Trail. The Upper Trail follows the top of the ridge northwest to the high point, Rock 2, at 2,024' then goes down to the right back to the Rocky Ridge Trail.
4 summits area: Same start as the Loop Trail but you continue on the Rocky Ridge Trail (road) to .8 miles to a gate where the Emud signs are posted. This is where further progress requires a permit. Continue another quarter mile up to a hanging valley with the main summit (fenced in area from the north) to the left, the west summit .2 miles across the valley over to the west and the north summit just up to the right. The west and north summits appear to be a few feet lower but are more interesting with trees and rocks and offer the best views to the west and north. The south summit is tree covered and a quarter mile south of Rock 2 and it's high point is a 15' class 5 rock pinnacle. See Klenkes' trip report.

Red Tape

Permit info for Rocky Ridge
Trails close at sunset. No fires, bikes, guns, swimming or fishing.
Permit required for the 4 summits area info.
The Cuesta part of the loop trail could be quite muddy during the rainy season.

Camping

Bollinger Canyon from Rocky Ridge north summitBollinger Canyon from Rocky Ridge north summit
Reserve camping is available in the Corral Area of the Las Trampas Regional Wilderness. You must provide you own water. For info and reservations call 1-888-EBPARKS or 1-888-327-2757 press option 2 then 1

For current weather conditions

Across the hanging valley of Rocky RidgeAcross the hanging valley to the north summit
For Eastbay weather and 5 day forecast click here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.