Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.35270°N / 118.0679°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6316 ft / 1925 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Round Top




Round Top is a little peak that stands tall over the Mill Creek and Upper Big Tujunga Canyon drainages. From it open summit there the most stunning views of all the peaks in the western San Gabriels. Round Top is on the original Hundred Peaks List. The peaks is usually done with Rabbit Peak, Iron Mountain #3, and Granite Mountain in what is called the Monte Cristo Loop. Round Top is officially called Roundtop on USGS topo maps but has been called Round Top by the Sierra Club since atleast the 1940's.

Getting There

Take the I-210 freeway to La Canada andtake the Angeles Crest Highway (SR-2). Drive north SR-2 for 9.5 miles to a junction with Angeles Forest Highway. Turn left and go 9.5 miles to Monte Cristo Campground for Route One. Continue 4.7 miles to Mill Creek Summit. Park here on the eastside of the highway pinic area for Route Two.


Route


Route One: Monte Cristo Loop
Go to Steve Larson's excellent Granite Mountain SP page for this route.
Round trip 11 miles and 4000 feet of gain.

Route Two: Santa Clara Divide Road 3N17 to Round Top Road 3N90
This route is along easy fireroads, good for drive-ups, mountain bikes, or hiking. This is a hot route in the summer so bring lots of water and sun protection. Go 3.4 miles east along 3N17 until it reaches and saddle/road junction with 3N90 on the right. Turn right and take this road as it passes Granite Mountain 3 miles to the rounded bald top of Round Top.
Round trip is around 13 miles with 1500 to 2000 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

External Links

For camping information and current conditions in Angeles National Forest. Here are three of the nearest campgrounds, all of which would be great staging places for peakbagging in the western San Gabriels:
1. Lightning Point Campground, on Mount Gleason
2. Monte Cristo Campground, off of Angeles Forest Highway but south of Mill Creek Summit
3. Mount Pacifico Campground, located on the summit of Pacifico

Round Top is on the Hundred Peaks List.