Rutarski Vrsic, 1699m

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.44750°N / 13.85450°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy marked route and easy unmarked route with some orientation problems.
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rutarski Vrsic, 1699m is a small peak and first mountain in the big north ridge of Kukova Spica, 2427m. It is perfect goal for Autumn because it is not very high and from its summit is a beautiful view on all mountains of Martuljek group. It is really beautiful to observe the giants through the colourful larches.

Rutarski Vrsic is not hardly approachable. You must reach the bivouac Za Akom from the village Gozd Martuljek and you have to find an old path in the forest and you nicely come to the summit. The other possibility is also from the wild valley Beli Potok which is located below the wild north face of Kukova spica. But this ascent is much harder because of orientation.

Getting There

Martuljek GroupMartuljek group from the village Gozd Martuljek.

The heart of the region (Martuljek group) is Kranjska Gora resort town, 84 kilometers from the Slovenian capital Ljubljana. From Kranjska Gora you can reach over roads to other starting points of Martuljek group. You can travel by bus.

The village Gozd Martuljek is named after one of the most beautiful mountain ranges in the Julian Alps - the Martuljek range. Its highest peak is Spik at 2,472 meters. The village is located some kilometers before Kranjska Gora in the direction to Ljubljana. There is a pachwork of poaring waterfalls under the Martuljek range inviting the romantic and artistic. From Gozd Martuljek is the best view on Martuljek group from the north.

Route Description

From Martuljek village you go towards south, by the Martuljek Creek you take one of the two marked paths and proceed either through the gorge (more beautiful) or left of it and reach the area above the First Waterfall. here both paths join and you proceed through woods, a bit turning towards SE. In woods soon one path deters to the right (under Spik) but you go straight towards SE.
Siroka pec is one of the...One of the hardest approachable mountains in Martuljek group, Siroka pec, 2497m.
Beautiful Autumn colors in Martuljek group.Beautiful Autumn colors in Martuljek group.

Soon the slopes through woods become steep, you leave the creek deep below on the left and climb to the rocky barrier. Here some steel ropes and pegs help you to overcome the steepest rocky part. Just below this section a tiny path (also marked) can bring you to the Second Waterfall. It's certainly worth to see it (from there you must return)! Steel ropes bring you just on the upper part of the waterfall and behind the corner you reach the flat lower part of basin, named Za Akom. The path from here on is no more marked. If you are looking for the bivouac - it stands some 50 meters above the edge of basin - to the right.

The broad basin Za Akom is a beautiful place. Here is the water source, it's sunny and all around are wild mountains.

When you come out form the forest you can see two big ravines. You take the left one and you follow them around 100 meters. Then you turn to the left in the forest. There is also a stone man for orientation. In the lower part of the forest you will hardly find path because there are many wrecked trees. But you walk all the way up through the beautiful forest and soon you will stand on the nice and wide path. You follow it to the ridge. When you come to the ridge you turn in the south direction and in few minutes you will stand on the summit.

You descend by the same route.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.