San Bernadino Peak Divide Trail

San Bernadino Peak Divide Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.11976°N / 116.92749°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Uphill Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Most people that wish to tackle San Bernadino Peak and San Bernadino East Peak will take the San Bernadino Peak Divide Trail that begins in the mountain town of Angelus Oaks off of highway 38. This well maintained trail is a great dayhike, or others that will try to accomplish the seven peaks traverse of San Gorgonio and the other prominent peaks of the area. The trail winds up through the manzanita and jeffrey pines, switchbacks up the back of San Bernadino peak to a great little viewpoint called Limber Pine Bench, and moves upward to the historical viewpoint of Washington Monument, until finnaly you reach the summit ridge and the peak proper. It is roughly a 16 mile round trip affair.

Getting There

From Redlands, take highway 38 through Redlands and Mentone. Once you go through Mentone, the highway will go past the Santa Ana riverbed and on your right will be the Mill Creek Ranger Station where you can pick up your visitors manditory wilderness permit. Continue up highway 38. Stay to the left when you reach the fork in the road that leads to Forest Falls. Continue up highway 38 and you will soon reach the town of Angelus Oaks. When entering Angelus oaks city limits,look for the sign on the highway directing you to the fire road that leads to the trailhead. The fire road 1W07 that leads to the trailhead is on the right.

Route Description-Water Supply

16 mile round trip hike up the mounatin. There are no places to filter water up the trail until you reach Manzanita springs which is 5.5 miles up the trail, so plan accordingly. There is another spring near Limber Pine Bench 7 miles up. The trail is in good shape, as it is used often.

Essential Gear

Water, food, good hiking gear, map, compass, and the correct clothing for the time of year you go out.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.