Seen from of Haudères or La Gouille (Arolla), Sasseneire is an easily identifiable summit which seems to finish the chain which separates the small valley of Moiry from the valley of Hérens.
Isolated and rather high, Sasseneire ("the black rock") offers a remarkable sight on the Alps of the High Valley of Hérens, the Valley of Anniviers and on the Alps known as Bernoises a little further.
Easy of access, Sasseneire constitutes a very interesting goal for people who like the excursion in mountain without however daring to risk itself on glaciers or in rock. Its altitude which exceeds the 3000 meters makes it possible to these people to obtain a small first impression of high mountain.
To Sion (491m):
Sion is the main city of Wallis. It has an international airport, an IC-train station and a bus station from which you travel to either La Forclaz or La Sage (Val d'Hérens), or Grimentz and Moiry Dam (Val d’Anniviers)
You can also reach Sion by car:
- From the West: From Geneva (airport) on the A1 to Lausanne, on the A9 via Montreux and Martigny.
- From the North: from Bern on the A6 to Spiez, from here turn onto the road to Kandersteg. At Kandersteg, drive your car on a train and go by train through the Lötschberg tunnel to Goppenstein. Continue the road to the S and reach the main road from Sierre near Brig. On the crossroad, you turn right (W) and reach Sion.
· From the East: from Bregenz on the A13 to Chur; turn off at Reichenau and continue the road 9 to Sion via Flims - Sedrun - Andermatt - Gletsch - Fiesch - Brig - Sierre.
· From the South: either from Como on the A2 via Bellinzona to Airollo, then road 2 until Hospental and then left on road 19 to Brig/Visp or from Arona till the end of A26 and then the E62 via Domodóssola, Brig and Sierre.
No red tape
When To Climb
Sasseneire is a summer climb
Sasseneire can be climbed from Anniviers Valley or Hérens Valley :
- From Anniviers valley, start point is Moiry Dam. Ascent route over Torrent pasture, Autannes lake, Torrent collar, S ridge. (shortest route)
- From Hérens valley, start point is La Sage or the alpine pasture. You reach the Torrent collar over the W face and follow then the S ridge as the normal route from Moiry.
- From the North : from Becs de Bossons hut
Cabane des Becs-de-Bosson
Tel. +41(0)27 281 39 40
Fax. Mobile +41(0)79 417 58 47
Internet site :www.nature-evasion.ch
1) Place de camping Ilôt Bosquet & borne Euro-relais
Tel. +41(0)27 475 14 93
Fax. +41(0)027 475 28 91
2) Camping Evolène
Michel Métrailler 1983 Evolène Switzerland
Tél +41 (0)27 283 11 44
Fax +41 (0)27 283 32 55
Natel +41 (0)79 221 03 72
When the mountain fell
WHEN THE MOUNTAIN FELL of Charles Ferdinand Ramuz (1926) tells the epic struggle of man against Nature. A mighty mountain tries to engulf a tiny human being under a mass of one hundred and fifty million cubic feet of stone. ..This mountain is Sasseneire.
The couple of 1930s novels by the Lausannois writer Charles-Ferdinand Ramuz that have been translated into English – Terror on the Mountain and When the Mountain Fell, are virtually the only works by any French-Swiss authors to be published in English.