Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.14253°N / 9.72113°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6581 ft / 2006 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SchillerkopfSchillerkopf seen from Loischkopf

Schillerkopf is one of the lower mountains of the Fundlkopf Group in Rätikon, the mountain range, which stretches across the borders of three countries: Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Austria. As the Fundlkopf Group is completely located on Austrian soil, so naturally is Schillerkopf. The group consists of a single ridge, made up from brittle limestone, which stretches in a long bend from the central part of Rätikon towards the Tschengla slopes high above Bludenz. Schillerkopf is the last of the limestone summits on the ridge, while the following Mondspitze is a steep grass mountain, covered in dwarf pines.

Schillerkopf is not exactly an easy hike. Though you can start at Tschengla Alm at roughly 1200m both routes, which lead to the summit, are extremely steep and exposed in their upper parts. Where possible the most dangerous sections have been protected by steel cables and chains but the real difficulties lie in the parts in between. The topmost part is a wonderful ledge traverse beneath the second highest summit with an exposed ridge hike towards the summit tower.
Schillerkopf
Schillerkopf summit
Schillerkopf

As can be seen from some of the pictures, Schillerkopf is a mountain of many summits, most of which are inaccessible even to climbers. The limestone rock of the Fundlkopf Group is way to brittle to offer good climbing, if any at all. In the "back" of the mountain (i.e. in its west) the huge doline (almost crater) of Kessiloch documents this instability. Here underground caves gave in forming a huge cauldron of 200m depth. The Schillersattel Route negotiates this cauldron by following its ridgeline.

Schillerkopf in front of the Fundlkopf and Naafkopf-Falknis Groups

Due to its low elevation, Schillerkopf is a moderate lookout. While views towards the far side of Walgau Valley across the city of Bludenz are exceptional (with the ranges Bregenzerwald, Lechquellengebirge, Lechtal Alps and Ferwall Group on display) the Rätikon part is restricted by higher mountains up close. Much of the Schesaplana and Zimba Groups can be see as well as the north-eastern subgroups of Rätikon. Everything else is hidden behind higher summits. Still, Schillerkopf is a worthwhile climb, if only to acclimatize.

Getting There

Schillerkopf in front of the Rätikon main ridge
Kessiloch
Schesaplana as seen from Schillerkopf

Trailhead for Schillerkopf and Mondspitze is Tschengla Alm, which is located above the village Bürserberg, itself at the mouth of Brandnertal Valley. It is most easily reached by motorway A14, which connects Bregenz near Lake Constance with Innsbruck through the Arlberg Tunnel. Either of the ends of the motorway can be easily reached from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Routes

As mentioned in the overview section there are two hiking routes with protection, which connect close to the summit. The northern one heads for Schillersattel, a saddle connecting Schillerkopf with neighbour Mondspitze, from there around Kessiloch and steeply up to the summit. The second one, Tälisteig, is even steeper and connects the trailhead at Tschengla Alm directly with the mountain, using its soth-western gullies for ascent.

More about the routes on the according pages.

Red Tape


Summit view across the northern Rätikon Ridges


There is no red tape here. As you'll have to cross the pastures of Tschengla Alm and Rona Alpe, please make ssure to close all gates and (electrical) fences behind you. There are a lot of orchids on the upper parts of the routes (mainly gymnadenia conopsea), which are strictly protected. Leave them where they belong!

Accommodation

Since Brandnertal is a well known ski area there is plenty of accommodation nearby. You can use the following link:

www.brandnertal.at

Also, in Bürserberg, beneath Tschengla Alm, there is a campground if you are inclined this way.

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps


  • Brandnertal / Nenzinger Himmel / Rätikon
    1 : 35.000
    WK 5374
    Verlag Freytag & Berndt
    ISBN: 978-3-7079-1275-3
  • Montafon
    1:25000
    WK 032
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-85491-614-7


Books


  • Brandnertal
    Herbert Mayr
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-7633-4035-4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

RaetikonMountains & Rocks