Sentinel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.49334°S / 19.39357°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6355 ft / 1937 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sentinel is one of the higher peaks in the Hex River Mountains. It is often overlooked in favour of its bigger neighbour, Buffelshoek; however, it offers spectacular views of the Hex River and Witels Valleys, The Fonteintjiesberg range, and, of course, Buffelshoek. A distinct characteristic of the peak is a huge scree slope on its western slope.

Getting There

The peak is reasonably remote - it is practically impossible to do it as a day trip, including it in a longer trip is recommended. Most of such trips would start either at the car park on the University of Cape Town property to the west (at the end of the farm road going east from the R43 approximately 3km from its junction with the R303), or at one of the farms in the vicinity of Ceres to the north.

Way to UCT parking

Red Tape

If the peak is approached from the west, permission to cross the land (and use the parking place) belonging to the University of Cape Town must be obtained. The website of the University Mountain Club is http://www.mountain.uct.ac.za/
Hiking from the north involves crossing private land, and the owners should be notified. The University Mountain Club maintains relations with these owners, and they usually help hiking parties with arranging permission.

Overnighting

Various huts (of varying comfort) exist to the west of the peak. See the Waaihoek page for their description. On the western slope of the Sentinel, at elevation of about 1600m, is the Perry Refuge Emergency Shelter (33°29'45.5" S, 19°23'4.90" E), sleeping 5 at the most. Camping is allowed.
Waaihoek from Perry Refuge.
...


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hex River MountainsMountains & Rocks