Skiing Göll East Face (photos)

Skiing Göll East Face (photos)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.59392°N / 13.06631°E
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Kuchl / Austria take the small road to the "Kühschwalb", a very nice valley between the Rossfeld mountain and Göll (650m a.s.l.). At the end of the road there is a small parking place. Follow the small unpaved road leading into the valley. After a small chapel the road splits up. Turn to the left crossing a small (most times dry) river. After a few 100m a small path which leads to the Wilder Freithof and to the east face) starts at the left side of the Kühschwalb valley.

Route Description


At the Wilder Freithof, a very impressive cirque, a large gully starts, transsecting the east face from the left (base, north) to the right side. Follow this gully upwards. After a few 100m the snow coverage might be low, then traverse to the left and climb the small ridge. Follow the small ridge to its end. Now it is getting steeper again. Depending on the snow coverage proceed in the middle or at the left side. Over this step a large rather steep snowfield starts which narrows in the upper part to a steep gully (up to 50°) which ends beneath a threatening cornice connecting the Hohe Göll with the "Kuchler Göll". The cornice will be sidestepped on the left side.

More Route Photos


.

Essential Gear


Best time for skiing in the Göll east face is May. The risk of avalanches is lowest in the morning. Descent before 10 am is recommended.
As you have to start very early in the morning crampons are essential.

Skiing


The following pictures should give an impression of skiing down Goell´s east face.

Great Places Close To The Route


Goell east face and the surrounding areas not only offer great skiing in spring but also are worth visiting during summer and autumn.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.