Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.03377°N / 119.30911°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12126 ft / 3696 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
 

 

Mt. Conness from the crest
Mt. Conness from the crest

This is one of those  mountains composed of metamorphic slate that appear to have little significance. Nevertheless it is covered in R.J. Secor's High Sierra Peaks, Passes and Trails guide book as Peak 12,126'. "Slate Ridge Peak" is what could be called a "bonus peak". It is on the Sierra crest .65 miles north of Excelsior Mountain and just up to the right a few hundred yards from the crest for anyone doing Excelsior's north slope coming up from Virginia Lakes. It is still a worthwhile objective even by itself since it is on the crest in a beautiful area. The views are excellent except to the south where Excelsior Mtn. blocks it. The south slope is easy class 2.

Getting There

Black Mtn. from the Summit Lake Trail
Black Mtn. from the Summit Lake Trail

From the junction of Hwy. 120 go north 12 miles on Hwy. 395 to Conway Summit (8,143'). From Bridgeport go south 13 miles on Hwy 395 to Conway Summit.
At Conway Summit take the Virginia Lakes Road 6 miles west to the trailhead at roads end parking lot (9,800').

Route

Sierra crest from Pass 11,120  to Summit Lake
The crest from Pass 11,120' with Slate Ridge Peak upper right

Take the Summit Lake Trail as it weaves gradually up past the lakes up to the pass at 2.5 miles (11,120'). Leave the trail at the pass and drop down a short distance then continue scrambling west straight up to the crest at one mile. Go right a tenth mile to the summit.
This is approximately 7 miles and 2,500' gain round trip.

Red Tape

Mt. Warren from the crest
Mt. Warren from the crest

No permits required for day hiking in the Hoover Wilderness.
For camping permits in the Hoover Wilderness contact:
Humboldt/Toiyabe National Forest
Bridgeport Ranger District
HCR 1 box 1000
Bridgeport, Ca. 93517
760-932-7070

When to Climb

Slate Peak (below right) from Excelsior Mtn.
Slate Ridge Peak from Excelsior Mtn.

Usually mid June or as early as late May and as late as late October depending on the snowfall.

Camping

North from east approach to Slate Ridge Peak
North from the east approach to Slate Ridge Peak

The only campground is Trumbull Lake (9,745') just northeast of the trailhead.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

Weather forecast for Bodie in the Bodie Hills to the east of Virginia Lakes.

Etymology

I believe the original summit register calling it "Slate Ridge Peak" was placed there in 1974 by well known Sierra peak bagger Andy Smatko.