Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Mar 4, 2008 8:38 pm - Voted 10/10

awesome

You are awesome Rick, and for once I'm not being a smartass!

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Mar 4, 2008 10:51 pm - Voted 10/10

A treat for the sphincter

Well written. Great story!

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Mar 4, 2008 11:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Report

Good thing you've got ice in your veins to withstand being trapped on the route for 30-40 minutes without losing yourself to panic. But it sounds like canyoneering is going to pull you back in until you get that 400 foot rappel going down the route under your belt.

mvs

mvs - Mar 5, 2008 11:19 am - Voted 10/10

great write-up

Really well described, I liked reading about those chains of decisions you had to make. I'm really glad you found that hole in the back! For a minute I felt like I was reading what someone would write who disappeared in the mountains. Was this what they were up to at the end? Fashioning finger-holes in the ice, etc... :)

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 5, 2008 12:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice

Next time invite me! Only not with conditions like those. I would have cried like a baby.

tomi

tomi - Mar 5, 2008 12:08 pm - Voted 10/10

*************

great TR and photos. Perfect condition.
:)

KathyW - Mar 5, 2008 10:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Good report

Very good report! It is wonderful that you made it safely to the top.

Cy Kaicener

Cy Kaicener - Mar 6, 2008 10:41 am - Voted 10/10

Well Written

That was a suspenseful trip report with a lot of great pictures.
Not many climbers can do it in a day especially solo and with tricky ice and snow conditions. I only got as far as the Chockstone in my younger days and now have my work cut out for me with c2c. I am glad you made it safely.

R Pollard

R Pollard - Mar 6, 2008 12:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Good

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures, and the report as well. Very nicely done.

bajaandy

bajaandy - Mar 6, 2008 12:31 pm - Voted 10/10

DUDE!

You're a stud. Not only is that a killer route (still on my tick list), but you made it even harder by taking an alternate route with limited equipment in somewhat sketchy conditions. Great climb, great report, great photos. GOOD ON YA!

jtree

jtree - Mar 10, 2008 8:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Job!

I am heading down to S. Cal. this month and you just inspired me to bring my crampons and ice axe just in case. Thanks and great job!

DJR

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 10, 2008 10:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Sounds like

you had a great time, and that's all that matters!

mdostby

mdostby - Mar 10, 2008 11:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Nice job! I love that route. It gives a person a whole new perspective and respect for San J. I will never forget how exhusted I felt when I finally reached the summit....and that was a two day climb. Solo.....In a day....you're a mad-dog!!!!
-Mike

tp

tp - Mar 11, 2008 12:02 am - Voted 10/10

Cool

Sounds like fun.

leopop

leopop - Mar 11, 2008 12:32 am - Hasn't voted

Same thing happened to us!!!!

I am glad I wasn't the only one to have problems with the last 1,000ft or so of Snow Creek. My buddy and I went up on Saturday March 8th. Exact same thing. After the chockstone the chute was icy and hard on the muscles, but not too difficult to ascend. Finally, around 9200 ft the snow became really unstable and we decided to go up the same ridge you went up, had the same problem with air pockets & crawled through the same hole! Unbelievable that we shared the same experience. Glad that we are all in one piece.

leopop

leopop - Mar 11, 2008 12:42 am - Hasn't voted

Also

don't know if you remember me, but I met you with a group of my friends on top of Mt. Muir last summer.

Rick Kent

Rick Kent - Mar 11, 2008 4:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Amazing Coincidence?

Hi Leo! You're kidding? The same hole even? Did you make the mistake of following my footprints? I was a little worried somebody might. Glad it turned out ok. I remember meeting your group on Muir. Congrads on surviving Snow Creek!

brotherbbock

brotherbbock - Mar 11, 2008 4:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Yep the same hole

I was the guy with Leo. We thought we were going to go sliding off into the chute at any moment. There were no footprints, only crusty crappy snow with airpockets like you said. Super sketchy day to say the least. 13 hours from car to summit.

brotherbbock

brotherbbock - Mar 11, 2008 4:27 pm - Voted 10/10

chockstone

Oh yeah, we must have went the hard way at the chockstone, because we freesoloed a line that felt at least like 5.6. With packs and boots on it was an unnerving way to get to the snow tongue.

mkrotine

mkrotine - Mar 14, 2008 9:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Captivating story

Congrats on safely completing the route up Snow Creek. My friends and I have been eyeing that chute for years each time we go to Joshua Tree. One of these days...

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'Snow Creek Solo Climb - Mar 2, 2008' main page