South East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.77900°N / 107.864°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate (Easier alternative than standard route
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Beatie Peak reflects in the  sky mirror  of Hope Lake.Lake Hope from above on the route.
This route avoids the upper ridge and 4th class gap of the most commonly suggested route. I recommend this as an easier alternative to the commonly suggested ridge route. This is also a great descent route provided the absence of avalanche potential.


Getting There

San Miguel Peak, Wilson Mountain, El Diente,San Miguel Summit, red shaded Sheep Mtn Ridge, Wilson Massif peaks (El Diente, Wilson Mtn, Gladstone, Lizard Head and Wilson Peak.
This route uses the standard approach from Trout Lake. Take the Lape Hope Trail. I recommend going to the lake for close up views of the deep saphire hued lake then across the tar patched Lake Hope Damn. Amble up grassy slopes to climbers left side of the broad lower ramparts on the North East Ridge.

Route Description

San Miguel PeakShawn Roof on the crux move of the South East Ridge of San Miguel.
From the base of the North East Ridge traverse southwestery and south to a point between the saddle and summit of the South East Ridge of San Miguel. The higher the traverse the more commiting and exposed the route is made. traversing the lowline and taking the South East Ridge by the easiest line would yeild a 2+ or low 3rd class climb. I highly recommend this ridge as a safer route of decent provided the absence of snow. With winter or midspring snow this route could be suspect for avalanche on the south facing slope traverse.

Essential Gear

Bring appropriate gear for the season. Again I recommend this route for late spring summer with the absence of avalanche potential. Prepare for a medium to long day. This route and climbed seemed longer than I had expected.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.