South East Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.65341°N / 106.20123°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Scrambling up and down Hail Peak will test your patience in talus hopping....

Getting There

Take 1-70 to Vail and get off at exit 180. Take Bighorn Road to Gore Creek Trailhead. Plenty of parking spots.

Route Description

Hike on Gore Creek Trail to the grave site. Turn left on Gore Lake Trail. Leave Gore Lake Trail soon after you crossed the creek coming down from Gore Lake and head to the rock tower at the end of the valley you see through the canopy. You will eventually pickup a faint climbers trail, which will drop you off right below Hail Peak.

To the right of the little pond in the valley a grassy ledge is leading up to the right of the rock tower right above you. Cross underneath the rock tower on grassy ledges heading to Hail Peak. Eventually the talus fields around the summit will catch up with you. Really anything underneath your feet will move, be careful where you step and what you touch. Reaching the actual summit is an easy scramble. Either return the way you came or climb down the talus filled gully to the left ( East) of summit, which returns you straight back to the pond.

Essential Gear

A good pair of hiking boots, walking poles and helmet

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hail PeakRoutes