Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.65341°N / 106.20123°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12902 ft / 3933 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hail Peak (UN 12,904) is the highpoint of the long ridge connecting Mount Silverthorne (East) and Mount Valhalla (West). 

It is an obscure and rarely visited mountain ( in September 2021 I was the first to sign the summit registry in the entire year). 

Hail Peak itself is basically a rock bump surrounded by massif talus fields.

Its West Ridge however sports one of the most challenging and treacherous ridge climb in the entire Gore Range. 

If you are up to a climbing adventure, another ridge extending out from the West Ridge into the remote Upper Rock Creek Valley would offer a challenging Class 5 + route via several towers and spines.

( I am aware that the page for Mt Valhalla has a subsection for Hail Peak - but Hail Peak is not a sub submit of Valhalla nor is it particularly close to Valhalla. So I thought Hail Peak should deserve a page of its own).

.

Getting There

Except you opt for a climb on  Hail's Peak wild Norther Side, all other routes start at Gore Creek Trailhead.

Take 1-70 to Vail and get off at exit 180. Take Bighorn Road to Gore Creek Trailhead. Plenty of parking spots.

Route

Standard route to Hail Peak is via its Southeastern Slope. 

The very rugged West Ridge connects Snow Pass with Hail Peak. 

If you are up to very adventurous climb in the wilderness:  A Class 5 + ridge with several towers and spines is extending out from the West Ridge in Northeastern direction into the remote Upper South Rock Creek Valley.

Red Tape

You will hike entirely within the Eagle's Nest Wilderness - please abide to all wilderness regulations 

When to Climb

Late spring to late fall

Camping

Plenty of camping options around Deluge Lake and in the high valley below Hail Peak



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.