South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.47830°N / 121.8442°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, scramble and technical climb.
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy hike on the approach, Class 4 or easy 5 scramble on the rock ridge, 5.easy on the summit chimney.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start from the Pacific Crest Trailhead described in the "Getting There" section. Hike about 3.7 miles north to the southern shoulder (Point 6961 on USGS map).

 

Route Description

Once you reach the southern shoulder, you will see an obvious climbers trail and pick it up within a half mile. This ascends a scree field in the summer, snow in winter. Once at the saddle, scramble up a loose ridge. About 200 feet below the summit, a gendarme blocks the way. This is "The Crawl" and a rope and some pro are recommended for the traverse on the east side of the gendarme as there is significant exposure.

There are two fixed pins in this section. One about 20 feet into the Crawl under a small roof on your left. The second is 30 feet farther on the right outside edge just past the first technical move that you can actually clip before doing the move. There are also large blocks on either end of the Crawl you could sling for anchors (bring 20 foot slings or webbing). You could also sling some horns along the way with 6 foot runners if the pins aren't enough for you. At least one fatality has occurred here so be careful.

Continue scrambling to the summit pinnacle which is a shallow chimney. It's about a 20-25 foot technical climb of 5.easy quality. From the top of this climb you can scramble to the actual summit. Elevation gain is about 3000 feet and from the trailhead to summit is 5 miles.

Thanks to Cluck for additional beta for the route page.

Essential Gear

Slings/webbing as mentioned above for slinging horns/clipping fixed pins/etc. Nuts/chocks for the Chimney. Bring your brainbuckets, this heap is pure looseness (except the Crawl seems like pretty solid rock). I would suggest you rap off the summit block down the Chimney as the rock is not solid. The traverse is exposed class 4 or easy class 5 but the exposure is big.

 

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.