South Side Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.78790°N / 88.2418°W
Additional Information Route Type: Drive-Up or Road Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Drive-Up or Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the intersection of US-72 & SR-25 south of Iuka:

South Side
- Exit US-72 and turn South (L) onto SR-25.
- Drive 0.1 mi South and turn West (R) onto CR-187 (Fairground Rd).
- Follow CR-187 as it curves 1.2 mi South and turn West (R) on CR-176.
- Drive 0.7 mi on CR-176 and turn North (R) onto a good dirt road beside a residence.
- Follow the steep road as it curves 1.0 mi up to the summit of Woodall Mountain.


Route Description


The easiest way to reach the summit is to simply drive up the curvy road leading directly to the highest point. If the gate at the bottom is locked, or if you are looking to burn a few calories in Northeastern Mississippi, you can hike up.

Park along the CR-176 across from the unnamed dirt road, and hike along the easy-to-follow route as it curves up the mountain. After traveling 1.0 mi and covering 200+ vertical feet, you will reach a level summit area with a turn-around and a picnic table. The USGS benchmark is in the center of the turn-around.


Essential Gear


Only basic hiking gear is required. There is no water available on Woodall Mountain, so take all that you will require.


Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.