South side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 6.38300°N / 72.28134°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Toti, although more beautiful when viewed from the east in the valley, it is most easily climbed from the west. To reach the summit, one must climb the glacier and then ascend the rocky summit. From the east there are at least two known routes to the summit: the easy normal route (described here) that climbs the south side of the rock to the summit and a more direct class 5 (YDS) climb on the northern side of the rock mass. The normal route is fun class 3 can be done from Laguna Grande de la Sierra in less than 1/2 a day. The top offers spectacular views of the surrounding region.

Approach and Route Description

Toti

The west side of Toti is best reached from Laguna Grande de la Sierra ("the great lake of the Sierra"). Take the trail and camp either in the caves, at the shores of the lake, or closer near the base of the Pan de AzĂșcar glacier. Circumambulate the lake to the south and hike up the rocks that lead to the base of the glacier.

Toti - Normal Route
At the base of the glacier, gear up with crampons and an ice axe (rope up if crevasses are covered) and climb up to the south base of the summit pinnacle. From here, climb a class 3-4 chimney to some easier rocks. Continue traversing across the west side until a small permanent snow patch is countered. Carefully cross the field and climb up the easy rocks to the your right. Another snow patch is reached; climb again to the crest of the ridge. From here ascend the obvious route to the summit. From the base of the rocks to the summit takes ~30 minutes.

Essential Gear

To cross the glacier, an ice axe and crampons are required. If the glacier is covered with snow and any crevasses cannot be seen, it would be wise to rope up for the glacier. solo the rocks

External Links and additional info

Add External Links here.

anyone who has any info of any other routes on Toti, please feel free to post add a route page.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

TotiRoutes