South slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.35040°N / 10.91603°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA I/II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Southern route to MarienbergspitzeThe route.

General:1000-2561m / 3281-8403ft, exposition S/SW, marked trails and unmarked scree fields/unsecured easy climbing
Effort:About 1600m/5250ft 4-5h (900m/2953ft from Marienbergjoch 2-3h)
Power:3 - steep scree/UIAA I
Psyche:3 - Belaying not needed but fall may be fatal
Orientation:3 - unmarked above Marienbergjoch

This is one of the standart routes up to both Marienbergspitze summits. In my opinion, this route is a bit more difficult than the route from Schwärzkar but it offers the better views. All the way up to the summit you' ll have phantastic views to the alpine main ridge (Stubai Alps and Öztal Alps).

Approach

Great view towards FernpassView from the route.

Trailhead is the gentle meadow of Marienbergjoch (1789m/5870ft). There are two general possibilites to reach Marienbergjoch:

  • from south via Marienbergalm
    Starting at the parking lot in Holzleiten (1087m/3566ft) trail #27A or #813 leads up to Marienbergjoch. Depending on the length of this trail I would recommend starting in Biberwier.
  • from Biberwier via Barberasteig
    This trail #51 or #813 starts at the parking lot of the chairlift in Biberwier and leads moderately steep up to Marienbergjoch (1789m/570ft)
Enjoy a rest and the views at Marienbergjoch, because from here still some 800m/2953ft of altitude difference are waiting for you.

Route Description

Yes, it  s steep...The gully leading up to the upper scree field.

Starting at Marienbergjoch follow trail #29 towards Höllkopf (2194m/7198ft). After about 10min the trail crosses the scree field, which is coming down from Marienbergspitze. Leave the trail and start to ascent the scree field. Because of the steepness this is very exhausting, but its better than searching a way trough the larches if you try to reach the scree field from Marienbergjoch directly. I' ve done this one time descending and it was ok, because I had the overview you don' t have during the ascent.

After you got onto the scree field try to get to the grassy "ridge" in the middle. Keep on the left side of it and follow it up until it reaces the south slopes of Marienbergspitze. Here a gully starts, which leads up to the upper scree field. Be careful if people are infront of you (helmet!). After about 100m the gully splits. Take the right one and soon therafter you' ll see the steep grassy slopes and the upper scree field. Well there is no trail or something like that, but its not difficult to find a way to the visible summit.

There are some quite exposed parts, but its never really exposed. Additionally if the climbing gets worse than UIAA II, you' re on the wrong way!

NOTE: The rocks of Marienbergspitze and the hole Mieming Range are very fragil. Sometimes along the route you have to use holds. Be careful, because even if they feel solid they may brake loose without warning. Additionally take care of people behind you.

Essential Gear

Hiking gear is sufficient. If you want to make sure nothing happens, bring a helmet with you. The climbing parts in the gully are mostly UIAA I (UIAA II at some places) so a rope and belaying isn' t required, if you' re familar with such terrain.

Well, Marienbergspitze is not a really difficult mountain, but it is not the place to find out if you can handle easy exposed climbing. So if you' re not sure about yourself or people with you, bring a rope.

Page history

19/Sep/2006
18/Sep/2006
  • Initial page release.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.