Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.98327°N / 71.58832°W
Additional Information County: Hillsborough
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1317 ft / 401 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

The view west toward the...

Well known for being the closest mountains to New Hampshire largest city, the Uncanoonuc Mountains (North and South Uncanoonuc Mountain) are known for completely contrasting each other. Uncanoonuc, a Native American named for the upper part of the female anatomy, was give to that two mountain because of the how symetrical they are to each other (especially before the towers went up on South Uncanoonuc). South Uncanoonuc (1312 ft) is well known for a road up to the top of the mountain as well as a huge amount of cell phone towers, antennas, and other manmade features. This peak can be a drive up although many would prefer to do this peak as a hike. South Uncanoonuc is home to hiking trails and also has two way up to the summit. The Class 1 (1.0 mile) Uncanoonac Nature Trail begins by Uncanoonuc Lake. It travels gradually through the woods will little trace of the manmade destruction that has altered the top with tower of all kind. The trail then pass an evergreen forest and runs into the summit road where you and the manmade tower can become one. There is also much more challenging and steeper way that borderline Class 2 path (0.6 miles one way) that follows an old cable car route to the summit. Some of the old buildings of the cable cars are still visible on this hike.

From South Uncunoonuc...

Getting There

VIA UNCANOONUC NATURE TRAIL AND CABLE CAR ROUTE: From 114 roughly a mile east of the center of Goffstown. Take Wallace road passed Goffstown High School for 1.5 miles until you reach Mountain Base Rd. take a right on Mountain Base Road. Take the road through the wooded residential neighborhood until you reach Uncanoonuc Lake. The is just behind the beach.

Red Tape

No mandatory fees at any of the locations. However only Goffstown residents where allowed to use the beach during the summer months.

Camping

The Uncanoonucs are smaller mountains that can be easily hiked in a couple hours, therefore there is no need to camp in the area. However the town of Weare, located 8 miles north of Goffstown has a number of campgrounds nearby.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Concord-Manchester AreaMountains & Rocks