Southeast Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.07080°N / 106.9886°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 Steep Snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

South Maroon with the...The Southeast Couloir is the Snow chute that splits in half to the left of the bellcord.
From Maroon Lake Trailhead, follow th trail to the turnoff to Crater Lake, take this turnoff and follow it all the way past Crater Lake to yor turnoff below a large snowfield that leads to the "Garbage Chute".

Route Description

Follow the gradual snowfield to the base of a huge slot called the "Garbage Chute". This chute is very hard to miss. Climb up through the chute and continue up to a basin below the Southeast Couloir. You will notice that it splits into 2 different chutes. The choice of which one is strictly up to you. The sourthern (Left) chute is the more popular choice and averages 40 degrees, while the steepest sections are over 45 degrees. The Northern (Right) chute is less traveled and is much steeper, it is loads of fun if the snow is stable. Top out on the ridge by either chute, and follow the South Ridge to the top. When climbing this route keep in mind that there might be a considerable amount of snow of the ridge. For that reason you may want to take rope. (The snow was about 60 to 70 degrees on a normaly easy scramble). This couloir is about 1,500 vertical feet so be ready for it. ***Remember this is a serious route that should not be taken lightly, know your limits, and how to self arrest.

Essential Gear

Crampons, Ice Axe, and helmet are musts. Rope may be useful on snowcovered points on the ridge ( if there is any)

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.