Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.15300°N / 105.4976°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

At the summitAt the summit

This is a super-short and pleasantly simple outing, ideal when time is short or when good weather is in limited supply. While the views may not astound, the south-facing slopes provide for a neat diversity in plant life, including Ponderosa Pine, Mountain Mahogany, Yucca & various grasses. This is route is a good choice for beginner navigators as the entire route is visible (the south-facing slope means sparse timber) and the good visibility would be forgiving to navigational errors.

Roundtrip Distance: 2.5 miles
Net Elevation Gain: 700 feet
YDS Rating: Class 2

Getting There

Looking back down the southeast ridgeLooking back down the southeast ridge
Approaching the summitApproaching the summit

From Hwy 24 in Lake George
• Drive north on Park County Rd. 77 for about 11.5 miles.
• Turn left on FS 214 and park soon after in an open area to your right in the dirt.

Route Description

Southeast Ridge Route Map

• From the rustic parking are just west of Hwy 77, follow FS 214 west for about ½ mile to the base of the Southeast Ridge. Note the camping area and summer parking area at the toe of the ridge.
• Ascend the ridge, heading northwest, gaining almost 700 vertical feet in about ½ mile to the summit.
• Once the climb relents, continue heading north along the summit plateau to the rocky outcrop containing the summit jar.

Essential Gear

• Trail map (Trails Illustrated #137 (Pikes Peak, Cañon City) would meet most needs)
• Compass
• Comfortable hiking boots or walking shoes
• Snowshoes after a heavy snowfall
• Water and snacks
• A camera to save memories of the high country views
• First aid kit
• Other standard backcountry essentials

Yucca, Mahogany, PineYucca, Mountain Mahogany, Ponderosa Pine




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

UN 9380Routes