Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.15300°N / 105.4976°W
Additional Information County: Park
Additional Information Elevation: 9380 ft / 2859 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Ascending the SE Ridge
Ascending the SE Ridge

This petite little peak rises quietly and gracefully in the Puma Hills just to the west of Tarryall Creek. Its slopes are blanketed in a mix of Ponderosa Pine, Yucca, Mountain Mahogany and a variety of grasses. The upper reaches include a grove of Douglas Fir.

Tarryall Valley Ranch leads occasional horse trips up here, based on the number of summit registrants indicating the name of the horse which carried them to the top. Still, you are bound to have the summit of this gentle little peak all to yourself during your visit, particularly if you visit outside of tourist season (summer).

Colorado Rank: 2,683rd highest peak in Colorado.
Prominence: 320 feet
USGS Quad: McCurdy Mountain
Trails Illustrated Map: #105 (Tarryall Mountains / Kenosha Pass)

Rank & Prominence Source: Lists of John

Getting There

UN 9380 is in Park County, about 10 miles southeast of the Tarryall Reservoir just off of Park County 77. It is about 15-20 miles northwest of the small Hwy 24 community of Lake George, Colorado and 25-30 miles southeast of the Hwy 285 town of Jefferson, Colorado.

UN 9380 Getting There Map
 


Red Tape

 
Rocky Summit Area
Rocky Summit Area
 
Summit Area of UN 9380
Summit Area of UN 9380





There is little to no red tape governing use of this area and no fees for accessing this peak.

Camping & Lodging

 
Lonesome Summit Register
Lonesome Summit Register
 
Misty mountain views
Misty mountain views

Rustic Camping Near the Mountain

There is a campsite at the toe of the southeast ridge of UN 9380, just off FS 214. This site, like others is the area, is available on a first-come first-served basis and is dry: No water, from a pump/well or other water body, is available, so pack water sufficient for your group size and the duration of your stay. Also be aware that this campsite sits just off a dirt road, resulting in minimal privacy.

Note that camping on the summit of UN 9380 is discouraged due to the high volume of lightening-strike trees in the vicinity.

Designated National Forest Service Sites

Spruce Grove Campground
The Spruce Grove Campground is just a couple miles south on Hwy 77 from FS 214. The campground is closed seasonally, operating primarily in the summertime. The Forest Service has furnished Spruce Grove Campground with water from a pump and a pit toilet. Several drive-up sites and a handful of walk-in sites (for a total of 26 sites) are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The gurgling Tarryall Creek passing through a boulder-strewn canyon is a special treat for campers.

Twin Eagles Campground
The Twin Eagles Campground is just north of the junction of Hwy 77 and FS 214 – in fact, if you so desired, you could walk from your campsite to summit UN 9380 without getting in your vehicle. . This campground is open from May through September.

Cabins, Lodges and Hotels

Numerous cabins can be rented in and around Lake George. There are also a few cabins/lodges/dude-ranches along the Tarryall Creek catering especially to the fly fishing visitor. For example: Ute Trail River Ranch.

Well-Aimed Elk Turds
Well-Aimed Elk Turds

Weather & Seasons

Summer: The route can be a bit hot and dusty in the summer, but the road should be dry and accessible and the breezes on top pleasant.

Spring: The snowpack is less deep here than in the high country and melts out faster than higher areas to the west. None-the-less, expect post-holing through unconsolidated snow drifts in the trees.

Fall: The aspen coating the slopes of this peak and surrounding neighbors make this area a golden-hued heaven in the fall.

Winter: Thanks to proximity to Park County 77, this peak is accessible year-round, though parking immediately off Park County 77 will add a few more paces to your roundtrip journey.

Zone Forecast for Jefferson, CO



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.