Southwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.24200°N / 117.634°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 little 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive up Mount Baldy Road, thru the village, past the trout ponds about a mile or two, you'll see a old rest stop on the right park here. If you drive to Icehouse Canyon you have gone to far.

Route Description

Southwest face of Sugarloaf

Directly behind the rest stop building is a Sugarloaf Peak. The first 300-600ft of the climb is through heavy brush, you may have to back track many times , once thru head up the talus slope to the SE ridge line. once at the ridgeline continue up to the slope along the ridge to hit a headwall, I've heard stories about a sierra club outing that got stuck here and had to be rescued, either way it is a bit of exposed class4, I even used a number of plant grabs, just make sure their deeply rooted, once you pass this section you will truelly gain the ridge, it is solid rock-boulder hopping all way to the top. Because of the class4 section I used the Falling Rock Canyon route for descent, then walking out from the Icehouse Parking lot down the road to the car. total gain is about 2400ft.

Essential Gear

Treking poles were quite nice on the talus slopes.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

The summit area barely enters the Cucamonga Wilderness Area. There is no chance of rangers in this region due to it's remote nature. But it is also it's remote nature that might make people want to get one so that the outside world knows where your at. Also the Cucamonga Wilderness does require permits to enter.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.