Via Falling Rock Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.24200°N / 117.634°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Starting from Icehouse Canyon road end hike up the main trail for about 0.5 miles. When you can see the first canyon heading east on the other side of the creek take off cross country up it. This is Falling Rock Canyon.

Route Description


Falling Rock Canyon is a narrow steep walled canyon with a few boulder sections of Class 3. Do not try to traverse around the difficult sections(it's more trouble than it's worth). After about 0.5miles when you can see the steep scree of the north slope, head up out of the canyon directly for the summit. This is the most strenuous section of the climb with ~1000' of elevation gain in ~0.6 miles. Stay on the north slope till you get near the top where the incline begins to level off. This will be a bit of a slog, but a fantastic rock ski down! The actual summit is the Southern most bump on a small ridge and has a tall rock pile. There is a small PVC tube with the summit register at the top.

Essential Gear


Only water(and food) for late spring to early winter. Might be a nice crampon, ice axe trainer if there were enough snow.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.