Sprout Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.11 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sprout Route is a difficult friction climb on the front side of The Hollow Flake. This route is easily toproped from the anchors on Hollow Flake.

Getting There

Arch Rock (see main page) is 4.0 miles from the kiosk at the entrance to the canyon. Parking is scarce. There is a great spot suitable for one or two cars at the base of the crag. When that is full, park 1/4 mile upriver at a campground.

Route Description

Approach



Hike from the road on use trails straight up to the rock wall. This may involve some scrambling and/or bushwhacking. There are a million trails here, so just pick one and keep going. When you arrive at the crag, Hollow Flake is the obvious flake to the right of the Staircase. Sprout Route begins just to the left of Hollow Flake.


The Climb



One pitch. See signature photo for this route. The route follows sketchy face climbing past three or four bolts to the anchors above Hollow Flake. The first bolt on this route is quite high, so be sure of your skills before trying this one.

If you choose to toprope this one, climb Hollow Flake and use the anchors. Rappel off.

Essential Gear

If you toprope, see Hollow Flake page.

If lead, a handful of quickdraws. Some very small pro might fit in the cracks.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.